Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1PPS Generator Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoui333

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I was wondering whether are any modules available in the market which actually generate 1PPS instead of using a GPS signal?
I`m trying to find a way to have 1PPS when GPS signal is lost or is unavailable.

Thanks,
Christos D

For example SRS FS725 Rubidium Frequency Standard

For example SRS FS725 Rubidium Frequency Standard

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
I suppose what you proposed is a desk equipment, i am looking for something smaller like a module that can be assembled in a small box.

1. Go to SRS's website
2. Products -> Time & Frequency Instruments
3. Frequency Standards/Oscillators -> PRS10 10 MHz Rubidium Oscillator

Ir is really easy.

How accurate do you want it to be when the GPS signal is 'lost'?
How long do you expect to not have the GPS signal and so (same question) how long do you need the 1PPS signal to be used?
What do you need the 1PPS signal for?
What is your budget?
I can think of many different solutions ranging from the venerable NE555; crystal oscillators (temperature controlled or otherwise) and 'divide-by-x' circuits; tapping in to NTP servers to keep accuracy over a period of time; through to your own atomic clock (in which case why bother with the GPS).
Susan

How accurate do you want it to be when the GPS signal is 'lost'?
How long do you expect to not have the GPS signal and so (same question) how long do you need the 1PPS signal to be used?
What do you need the 1PPS signal for?
What is your budget?
I can think of many different solutions ranging from the venerable NE555; crystal oscillators (temperature controlled or otherwise) and 'divide-by-x' circuits; tapping in to NTP servers to keep accuracy over a period of time; through to your own atomic clock (in which case why bother with the GPS).
Susan

Hello,

In my case i don`t want to have a GPS at all...thus let me try to rephrase my question "how to get 1PPS signal from an alternative source rather a GPS? "
1PSS should be always available and i suppose pretty accurate -since the solution would be a source generating 1PPS-

I did found out that atomic clocks do generate 1PPS output very accurately and perhaps this is the solution...

Thanks
Stoui

If you can afford an atomic clock then I guess that answers my question about "What is your budget?" - $Thousands! But seriously: what sort of money are you wanting to spend?
You still have not said how accurate the pulse needs to be: can you withstand the pulse being +/- 1nS or +/- 1uS or +/- 1mS? I'm sorry by 'pretty accurate' is a very hard to match engineering requirement.
Also you have not said anything about drift: if you will allow +1mS out, then that can mean up to 1 second out after a bit over 16 minutes - if that acceptable? Even at +1uS, that is 1 second in 11.6 days.
What external sources do you have available? For example, can this device have an internet connection - if it can then you could reset the clock every so often using the NTP.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.