Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Install Linux on Altera DE2-115 Cyclone IV with MIPS core

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxn4290

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to MIPSFPGA. I have ordered Altera DE2-115 board, Cyclone IV family.
Now I want to install Linux into this board under MIPS soft core. Following the tutorial from MIPSfpga-plus project on Github (link 1):
- I can build the MIPSFPGA SoC then program FPGA as MIPS32 core.
- I can build the Kernel and RootFS using MIPS toolchains, however using the defconfig and Device tree table (.dts) file for Altera DE10-Lite board and Altera MAX10 FPGA chip, which are provided by tutorial.
I can download vmlinux image into DE2-115 board, which was programmed as MIPS soft-core (using busbluster and openOCD). But I cannot boot the linux as tutorial. There is no console log after load an run vmlinux image.
[1] https://github.com/MIPSfpga/mipsfpga-plus/tree/master/programs/12_linux

Is there anyone install Linux on MIPSfpga board successfully? Can you share your experiment or your approach?
I have no idea which step is wrong when I follow the tutorial. Any comment is very welcome!
Thank you very much!

Step 1: build MIPS soft-core then program FPGA
Screenshot from 2019-06-13 14-42-42.png

Step 2: build rootfs and kernel using MIPS toolchains to generate vmlinux image then load vmlinux image to MIPSFPGA board using busblaster and openocd
Screenshot from 2019-06-13 14-47-39.png
Screenshot from 2019-06-13 14-49-06.png

As you can see, I can load vmlinux image to MIPSfpga board, however cannot boot the linux os as tutorial.

P/S I'm sorry for my English if not clear description.

Status
Not open for further replies.