Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB eye, attenuation s-param etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicklas_a74

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have a passive backplane with usb connectors intended for usb 3.0.
What is the required eye size of input, output to the backplane if it should be compliant to USB3.0 (not a usb-if member)?
Is it correct to only simulate the backplane itself or must s-parameters be used for reference host, device together with backplane to measure the eye (https://www.usb.org/ document-library/usb-31-reference-channel-models)?
I have seen that USB 3.1 Channel Loss Budgets mention total loss 20db for complete system leaving at most 7.5dB for the backplane at usb3.0 2.5GHz? However, the usb-31
reference channel display host s21=-15dB and device s21= -20dB which I don’t seem to match since total must be less than 20dB (single ended, diffrential)?

Also, when connecting this backplane to any general equipment e.g. between a pc and a usb3 device is the device equalization automatically adapted to best performance or do all standard devices have their own fixed and pre-set equalization (or devices Learning their best setting during the init phase)? What is typically the limits of S21, S11 and limits of mode conversion Scd, Sdc? Generally, if a too high attenuation is present do the usb switch to usb 2 mode or does it disconnect?

Grateful for detailed feedback and references

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back