Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transmission Line vs Lumped Inductor Choice in Distributed power Amplifier Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, my question is similar to the original post given below

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...ifier-Design&highlight=distributed+amplifiers

In my case, I have a power amplifier from 4-40 GHz. I couldn't decide on which to choose. It was mentioned in the original post that we should consider chip area and frequency of operation (below 20 GHz-Inductors, above 20 GHz-Transmission lines and upto 50 GHz- Lumped-Integrated Passive Components). But I want to know that can we use Transmission lines from 1 GHz also? what is best choice in my case?

Anyone has idea which Razavi book he is talking about because I didn't see any Razavi book that talks about distributed amplifiers.

Transmission line is always better - it is precisely controllable, and works grea,t and is fully analyse-able,

Transmission line is always better
The OP seems to refer to IC implementation, I believe a distributed 1 GHz on chip amplifier is neither reasonable with transmission lines nor lumped LC. You may calculate characteristic parameters for your available technology and check if they are feasible.

You may calculate characteristic parameters for your available technology and check if they are feasible.

What do you mean by characteristic parameters? R, L, G and C of the transmission line?

I mean the technology parameters relevant for implementation of on-chip lumped L and C components respectively transmission lines. Feasible L and C, electrical length and impedance range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back