Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pulse width stretching

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaf

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to design a circuit for stretching the "0" output of my signal. I have seen the Monostable multivibrator but it stretches the "1" output. is there anyway flipping it or another topology for realizing that?

Could you give us more information? Is this a digital system? Is there a clock? You could use a schmitt-trigger AND gate where the signal goes directly to one input and through an RC to the other input.

"Is there anyway of flipping it?" Of course; use an inverter.

In addition, most monostable chips have trigger inputs for both polarities. Pulse stretching refers to retriggerable monoflop, otherwise the pulse width would be also limited.

Could you give us more information? Is this a digital system? Is there a clock? You could use a schmitt-trigger AND gate where the signal goes directly to one input and through an RC to the other input.

it's a digital output of a d-flipflop which is clocked by a 50MHz clock. Adding an inverter will invert the "1" to "0" which is not the goal.

Adding an inverter will invert the "1" to "0" which is not the goal.
barry answered your question in post #1 (how can we use a monoflop with inverse input polarity), you apparently forgot your question.

In addition, most monostable chips have trigger inputs for both polarities. Pulse stretching refers to retriggerable monoflop, otherwise the pulse width would be also limited.

I#m designing the circuit so i don't have a ready to use multivibrator

I#m designing the circuit so i don't have a ready to use multivibrator
Fine, than just design it with correct polarity and don't forget the retrigger point if you expect input pulses longer than the monoflop period.

sorry didn't get it. am i supposed to have two inputs?

Fine, than just design it with correct polarity and don't forget the retrigger point if you expect input pulses longer than the monoflop period.

how do i change the polarity? i just want to extend the 0 output for some ms as an example. The design i used was a NOR gate connected to a capacitor and resister with an inverter in the end giving the output

Low Going Pulse Stretcher using two NAND Gates ...
NAND_GATE
scroll down for schematic
Use "High Speed" and right hand device, best if, "Schmidt Trigger" Input
Width of trigger pulse must be wider than gate delays

Or use something like 74AHC123A or 74AHCT123A Monostable ...
MONO-STABLE
Has both Rising Edge & Falling Edge Triggers

- - - Updated - - -

Can your Low-Going Pulse discharge a small Capacitor ?

Stretch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: iaf

iaf

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Bad idea. Use this:

stretch.jpg

Have to consider pulse width, etc. in selecting RC. Can also put diode across R for narrow input pulse.

Reactions: iaf

iaf

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Bad idea. Use this:

View attachment 153653

Have to consider pulse width, etc. in selecting RC. Can also put diode across R for narrow input pulse.

why is it bad idea?
is there any schematic of this schmitt trigger? as i have to design it in that case

it's a digital output of a d-flipflop which is clocked by a 50MHz clock. Adding an inverter will invert the "1" to "0" which is not the goal.

Would I be wrong in assuming that you are on the scope of a programmable logic circuit design? In this case, it would make little sense to implement this circuit with an analog approach.

Would I be wrong in assuming that you are on the scope of a programmable logic circuit design? In this case, it would make little sense to implement this circuit with an analog approach.

no it's actually an analog design just having a digital output

why is it bad idea?
is there any schematic of this schmitt trigger? as i have to design it in that case

It's a bad idea because you'll never pull the input lower than one diode drop+Vlo of the source. This may not be low enough to effect a logic '0'.

so how would i design this schmitt trigger with 2 inputs?

- - - Updated - - -

another problem with this design is that the pulse will be stretched in a constant time regardless how long the input takes, which is applicable in case if the input is longer the RC time constant, so is there a solution to add this time constant to the original width?

Status
Not open for further replies.