Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar panel regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

tof177

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there.

I have unused car battery Centra Futura CA472 47Ah / 450A and solar panel with this data on label:

SLVE_01
Company: FirstSolar.com
Nominal Power 72,5W +/- 5%
Current at mpp 1,09A
Voltage at mpp 66,6V
Short circuit voltage 1,23A
Open circuit voltage 88,7V
Max system voltage 600V UL / 1000V
Max source circuit fuse 2A UL/IEC61730 10A
Protection class 2
Cell type CdTe
Fire rating Class C

This accumulator will be power supply for private property gatewey wireless opener that i have already made with ATmega 328p, nrf24l01 data transfer modules, some other parts and servomotors with 12V motors to open the gate door. Everything works fine but nearless power source is lke 200 meters away so idea is to use this parts. What dou You think?

Can you help me to find power regulator fot this circuit from this shop:
https://allegro.pl/listing?string=r...baseline-var-n-dict4-sort-sqm-bp-com-1-2-0528

I try to find something cheap but i don't realy know how to read this parameters from solar panel.
On allegro there are a lot of cheap regulators but description says something like "maximum circuit voltage max 50V" so my panel have to high voltage for them?

yes your panels could give up to 88.7vout, so you need a buck battery charger to go between the solar panel and the battery.
So you just need a step down converter for 50-90vin down to 10-14Vout.
You can probably find one from traco or xp power or meanwell etc etc.
Or you want to make one yourself out of electronics components?

yes your panels could give up to 88.7vout, so you need a buck battery charger to go between the solar panel and the battery.
So you just need a step down converter for 50-90vin down to 10-14Vout.
You can probably find one from traco or xp power or meanwell etc etc.
Or you want to make one yourself out of electronics components?

DC/DC converter i have try before it is usable and works but i would prefer to buy a ready solution with some seciurity systems and simple lcd display from the page I gave in main post.

Or maybe there is a usable Atmega/arduino project with 3210 nokia lcd module i can make it by my own.. but like i wrote before.. with seciurity for battery and panel.

You need much more than a simple "Buck Converter" !
Can you find a Charge Controller that is rated, at least 90 Volts input from the Solar Panel?
https://allegro.pl/listing?string=r...baseline-var-n-dict4-sort-sqm-bp-com-1-5-0528

Send ALLEGRO an email explaining that you require a Charge Controller for a Solar Panel that has "Voc = 89 Volts and 1,23 Amps"
I looked at the first 5 Charge Controllers on the ALLEGRO website - not one was rated for 90 Volts Solar Panel INPUT.
Solar Panel = 89 Volts x 1,23 Amps = 110 Watts, which is OK.

Output Side: 12 Volt Battery x 9 amps =108 Watts
So, you need at least 10 Amps on the output side, for charging

Maybe, there is another website that you prefer?

I noticed that you stated "car battery" ...
Most "automotive" type batteries do not last very long when "Deep Discharged".

Last edited:

Maybe, there is another website that you prefer?
I noticed that you stated "car battery" ...
Most "automotive" type batteries do not last very long when "Deep Discharged".

1. aliexpress.com
2. Battery wont live long, that is true, byt for now its free.

Thank You for answer. Now, i see it more clearly.
So cheap solutions of regulators are only on lower voltage, or my panel is untypical or something?

Buck converter controlled by transistors. NPN & PNP arranged as a sziklai pair. They provide high gain, resulting in snap action. The waveform through the inductor creates the bias to the leftmost transistor, turning it On and Off.

buck converter 2-transistor controlled 90 VDC to charge 12v bat.png

The LC input filter draws smooth current (more or less) from a PV panel, taking less than 1A, but providing several Amperes peak in the converter itself.

Bias needs to be carefully adjusted at both transistors, in order to sustain oscillations, and to produce optimum performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.