Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ULN2803 as Input Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

theskyishigh

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!

The ULN2803 is commonly used in MCU projects to drive high-voltage or high-current loads. But I have been thinking about using the ULN2803 as a high voltage input protection device to drive MCU digital input pins. The schematic is attached.

2019-06-08_13-49-06.jpg

Is this possible? Is this feasible? Is there a better way (with less components, with less costly components) to do the same thing?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Cheers.

A series resistor with clamping diodes has the same or better protection effect.

Hi,

For sure it's possible..

But I don't see the benefit.
The protection grade is doubtful. Is it able to protect itself against negative ESD?
High leakage current, slow switching speed, unnecessary high drive current, not extremely cheap, no precise switching thresholds.

Why not use a 74hc14?
Or a resistor capacitor network and true ESD protection devices...with specified protection grade?

Klaus

I agree with FvM and Klaus, it will work but why waste board space and money when a cheaper solution is better.
Just add a series resistor the a pair of small signal Schottky diodes (BAT54 for example) from the MCU pins to GND and VSS. If space is very short, you can use a simple Zener diode rated at VDD or a little less at the MCU pin to clamp excess voltage, it will protect against reverse voltages and excess forward voltage although not as well as the two diode solution.

Brian.

So, putting all your comments (thank you) together, would you agree that the following would be a better circuit design?

2019-06-08_15-26-15.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
Why not use a 74hc14?
Or a resistor capacitor network and true ESD protection devices...with specified protection grade?

What do you mean exactly by true ESD devices?

Yes, but all you really need is one series resistor and the two diodes, the other components won't stop it working but they probably are not needed. Also note that if your MCU needs to respond quickly to a change in input, the capacitor has to charge/discharge first through the resistors so it will delay the signal a little.

If you really need a capacitor, for example in a very noisy environment, drop its value and increase the resistor value so you get the same filtering effect and also get better protection against input over-voltage. For example, change 1K to 10K and 10nF to 1nF. If you need the pull-up resistor R2, make it much higher in value, maybe 47K or 56K so you can still pull the MCU input low enough when the input is grounded.

Brian.

Hi,
Not "ESD device" but "ESD protection device".

My bad. I obviously meant ESD protection devices. I am familiar with TVS diodes, but they tend to be expensive, even in bulk. The only ones I know to be remotely affordable are the SMAJ5.0A series. Are there any others you'd recommend (bearing cost in mind)?

Hi,

Are there any others you'd recommend (bearing cost in mind)?

Many thousands.
And why? Because there are many applications with different requirements.
There is no "one and only" best, cheapest, most robust, high speed.....

Nowadays we have internet. So we are able to simply find everything we need on our own.
Semiconductor manufacturers as well as distributors build online selection tools exactly for you.
So use it.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.