Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to they calculated resolution of the photodiode

Status
Not open for further replies.

4tuty

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Thorlabs photodiode s150c. They have mentioned a resolution of 10 pW. how do they calculated it?.

I want to know the resolution of this photodiode op560c op560c.

kindly help

- - - Updated - - -

if i connected in 10k series resistance with phe photodarlington and measure the voltage reading when I shine 0.03 mW green light (530 nm).

Last edited:

Thorlabs S150C is a Fiber Photodiode Power Sensor

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=3328&pn=S150C#6035

footnote b says : Measured with PM100D console in low bandwidth setting.

the PM100D console is a Compact Power and Energy Meter Console (i.e a bench top machine for measuring optical power and energy)
https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=3341&pn=PM100D

the S150C is a sensor that connects with the PM100D

Thank you for the reply.

I want to measure the resolution of this photodiode op560c when it connected to the 16 bit ADC (NI-DAQ), if I connected in 10k series resistance with the photodarlington and measure the voltage reading across it when I shine 0.03 mW green light (530 nm).

Is it the correct way of doing it?

Hi,

It seems you want to measure SNR.
Define the bandwidth of interest...use an appropriate filter.

Instead of the 10k series resistor (which will degrade AC performance) I'd use a TIA combined with filter.
This gives more defined results especially regarding bandwidth and diode voltage

For your circuit you need a very low noise voltage reference, to get reliable results...in either case.

Klaus

Hi,

It seems you want to measure SNR.
Define the bandwidth of interest...use an appropriate filter.

Instead of the 10k series resistor (which will degrade AC performance) I'd use a TIA combined with filter.
This gives more defined results especially regarding bandwidth and diode voltage

For your circuit you need a very low noise voltage reference, to get reliable results...in either case.

Klaus

Thank you as per your suggestion i have made a circuit PFA, used an opamp as buffer circuit and LM358 as input reference. Do i need filter(I don't have any idea)? or is this configuration is enough.

Planning to varying the LED intensity using potentiometer and simultaneously measuring the LED intensity using bifurcated optical fiber connected between OP560C and Thorlabs powermeter (as a standard device)

Untitled.png

your micropower supply (LM385) will provide, at best, about 70 uA (micro, 10^-6)
in the green wire above the 5V label

the op-amp, MCP602 requires 230 uA quiescent current

the photo-transistor op560C has an on state current of 1 mA (milli 10^-3)

i think your circuit is significantly under-powered

i recommend a TL431 instead of the LM385
you'll have to change the feedback resistors R1 and R2
and you can reduce R3 to about 47 ohm and 1/2 watt

I want to measure the resolution of this photodiode op560c when it connected to the 16 bit ADC (NI-DAQ)...

Resolution will depend on the original signal strength.

You need to look into the noise specifications. The user has to decide the acceptable signal to noise ratio. If you are passing the photodiode output to a DAC, then the input signal must be much over 2^16 times the noise level so that you can get the 1 bit (LSB) resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.