Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spread spectrum clock generator using dcdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubu_not_taken

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I'm trying to implement a spread spectrum clock generator using a digitally controlled delay line in Verilog.

The basic idea is that I'm trying to modulate the period of my clock signal using some and_gates that each have a delay value assigned to them. The delay network just delays the signal, but it does not change the period of the clock signal.

Is this concept even possible(modifying the period of the clock, by passing it through some and_gates) using Verilog?

Thank you very much!

To delay a pulse train, one easy method is to send it through an RC integrator. This results in a ramping (or quasi-triangular) waveform. Restore DC pulses by following up with a logic gate.

RC integrator delays pulse train followed by AND gate.png

Shift the delay forward or backward by adjusting values.

Thank you, for your response!

But I'm trying to change the Period/frequency of the clock signal, not just to delay it. I believe it can be delayed just by passing it through some buffers.

Thank you!

Is this concept even possible(modifying the period of the clock, by passing it through some and_gates) using Verilog?

For xilinx FPGA's you would use the iodelay elements. They have control systems to reduce the impact of process/voltage/temperature changes. Altera/Intel likely have something similar.

Hi,

At least some of the Xilinx FPGAs include a PLL with spread spectrum feature.

Klaus

Can you show me an example of the verilog syntax, so I could change the period of the clock signal using these delay cells?

@bubu_not_taken, For xilinx, look at the iodelay system. You don't get the 1:1 semantics you want, but you can adjust delays precisely and dynamically.

also, your question is not well formed. "modulate the period" and "does not change the period" combined are impossible -- modulate implies some change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back