Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bulk capacitor series with 1 ohm resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA3040

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I found attached schematics image which has red cycle that has bulk capacitor series with 1 ohm resistor . Can I know the reason series resistor hare as well as the capacitor does not mention the polarities

Cap.png

Please advice
Thanks in advanced

We are using capacitor with series resistors in some cases to increase the ESR intentionally, e.g. with a ceramic capacitor as bypass capacitor for voltage regulators that require the ESR for stability. Also to reduce the Q of LC low pass filters. In this place, the series resistor doesn't seem to make sense.

Maybe to reduce the current surge when something is connected to the right connector (which has the "VMM" net).

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
This capacitor+resistor in parallel with another capacitor configuration is used to dampen inductive resonance in power supplies due to the interaction of parasitic inductances with bypass capacitors.

If you want to read more about it, Google the title of this article: “Bypass or decouple your way to power supply noise reduction”. EDN and EEtimes both have the same article I’m referring to.

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Maybe to reduce the current surge when something is connected to the right connector (which has the "VMM" net).

I also believe that this may be used protect from surge current because at the beginning of the capacitor consume high current and result is low voltage at the output, then regulator try to increase output violate by reference with feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.