Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem integrating through-hole and smd component footprint together in Altium

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnF

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I making a pcb which has 1n4148 diodes in it. I want the final pcb to have both the option for through-hole and smd (sod-123). So i combined both footprints together, deleted the 2 extra designators, and drew 2 area fills to connect the 2 pair of pads together. I also unchecked solder mask expansion so that this area is masked. The footprint looks correct but i get routing, clearance and short-circuit errors because altium doesn't like the way i did this. How do i fix it? Attached the footprint:

View attachment PcbLib2.rar

Kind regards

You can make your life much easier by placing and connecting both components in the schematic circuit and use variant placement to populate one or the other.

If you prefer a combi footprint, you need to map all terminals to the circuit symbol, otherwise you get DRC errors. But I guess, you'll also get problems when extracting SMD and THT pick and place.

In this case this was easier for me since i'm not experienced enough to use that. I actually just got it to work properly, i had to delete the pads and make identical ones with place solid region and it works perfectly now:)

Well i have another problem now..altium routes in between the footprint because it doesn't know there is a trace there...how do i prevent this?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually now i went back to my original plan and works..however i had to auto-route 2 times because altium didn't finish all the routing, even though it said it did?..wtf..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back