Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WI-FI module with at least 2MBps data rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

matriX_1500

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to Use a WI-FI module to connect my FPGA board to an android phone. I need 2 MByte per second data rate. So, can anyone offer me a proper wi-fi module? Unfortunately, most of them have serial interface and low data rate(Like this)

*In addition, Consider the cost!

Most fast modules expose USB or PCIe, I guess not preferred for your application. But modules with SDIO interface can do.

I Found that ESP-12F has an SPI interface.
So, my question is: Can i Configure and send/receive data only trough SPI pins of ESP-12F(and leave unconnected UART Tx/Rx pins)?
Anyone works with it?

Hi,

I assume you need modified ESP-12F firmware for this.

Don´t leave unused inputs floating.

Klaus

SPI and UART are totally independent interfaces on the ESP8266 devices. Also the max clock speed for the SPI interface is the system clock/2 (40MHz?) but that would probably imply the need for DMA to keep up with the value exchange rate.
HOWEVER, 2MByte/sec means 16Mbps. Even though 802.11g has a theoretical transfer rate of 54Mbps, you need to take into account the overheads involved with the protocols used to encapsulate the your data, plus the 'interference' that other WiFi traffic will cause. Then you need to take into account what else the two end devices are doing. Your FPGA device may be dedicated, but your android phone may have trouble if you are after a sustained transfer rate that high.
Susan

If you are considering Espressif WiFi modules, you should look at ESP32 which has faster CPU and supports 802.11n with up to 150 Mbps.

A possible advantage is that you can do all the configuration in the module programming and expose only a raw data interface to the FPGA.

Hi,
I assume you need ESP-12F has an SPI interface firmware for this.
Don´t leave unused inputs floating.

Status
Not open for further replies.