Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to fix a setup violation /hold violations in net-to-net path ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcu

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

1.)why INPUT-to-OUTPUT path in sta is considered as a combinational path (not as both comb and seq) even though u see one launching flop and capture flop in between these ports ??

2.)how this net-to-net setup/hold violations are fixed ??

paths are either IN-REG, REG-REG, REG-OUT. I don't understand what you have encountered.

paths are either IN-REG, REG-REG, REG-OUT. I don't understand what you have encountered.

I am looking into STA theory. why you ignored IN-OUT path.?

In the attached picture , I am talking about path-no 4 .

And how to fix violations for the paths which is through a combinational logic like path no 4 ??

Attachments

• 1_identification_of_TPaths.jpg
    1_identification_of_TPaths.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 170

I am looking into STA theory. why you ignored IN-OUT path.?

In the attached picture , I am talking about path-no 4 .

And how to fix violations for the paths which is through a combinational logic like path no 4 ??

Sure, you can have such paths in a toy example but they are useless... no meaningful modern circuit is not flopped.

Either way, tools optimize them the same way as any other path. There's nothing special about them.

Sure, you can have such paths in a toy example but they are useless... no meaningful modern circuit is not flopped.

Either way, tools optimize them the same way as any other path. There's nothing special about them.

Have you not seen any "net to net " timing path violations in the timing reports.?

the .rpt file that comes after the command "report timing -num_paths 3000 > timing.rpt" during synthesis. From the textbooks what i came to know is, net-to-net violations is addressed using "set_input_delay" constraint. Is that true ??

the .rpt file that comes after the command "report timing -num_paths 3000 > timing.rpt" during synthesis. From the textbooks what i came to know is, net-to-net violations is addressed using "set_input_delay" constraint. Is that true ??

set_input_delay is used to set the input delay of an input with respect to a clock. but the path type you are referring to is not sequential. I don't see how it can help.

the question posed to me is, how to fix setup violation ? my answer is to reduce the combinational path delay sitting in between Lflop and Cflop.
the next question is, how you do that ? my answer is, By registering the data available at certain point in the combinational logic.

the next question is, Then how you address this, if it is a pure combinational block.? while im thinking, she said, have you not seen any net-to-net timing path in your reports ?

Then i thought that , discussion went from reg2reg portion to port-to-port .

I presented everything i encountered. I want some light on this. I am confused what she was trying to get from me ??

the question posed to me is, how to fix setup violation ? my answer is to reduce the combinational path delay sitting in between Lflop and Cflop.
the next question is, how you do that ? my answer is, By registering the data available at certain point in the combinational logic.

the next question is, Then how you address this, if it is a pure combinational block.? while im thinking, she said, have you not seen any net-to-net timing path in your reports ?

Then i thought that , discussion went from reg2reg portion to port-to-port .

I presented everything i encountered. I want some light on this. I am confused what she was trying to get from me ??

I think the answer she was looking for was 'buffering'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back