Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] fastening pcb to heasink with studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Typically boards are screwed into studs I have a heatsink which already has holes but is thick and it needs to have the studs reversed and screws hold studs onto heatsink while PCB would be fastened with acorn nuts.

Would fastening a PCB with reversed standoff studs which has its threads on PCB side work with acorn nuts for fastening?

I can't see that it makes any difference whether the stand off is one way around or the other as long as the mounting is secure. The only potential problem is that it generally takes more space to tighten a nut than a screw so you need more clearance for the tool on the PCB.

Brian.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I can't see that it makes any difference whether the stand off is one way around or the other as long as the mounting is secure. The only potential problem is that it generally takes more space to tighten a nut than a screw so you need more clearance for the tool on the PCB.

Brian.
Pliers should be able to fasten the acorns.

Pliers should be able to fasten the acorns.
No mechanical engineer would design an assembly procedure using pliers. It's an unreliable tool and not suited for series manufacturing. You either have the PCB space for a nut driver or use a different design.

Considering this reservation, male thread/nut is a popular PCB mounting option.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back