Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Checkerboard shaped Artificial Magnetic Conductor array in HFSS or CST - Get RCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachak

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I have a checkerboard shaped array whose shape is of the form:

1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0
1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0
1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1

The surface of 1s and 0s sits atop a 1.4mm dielectric medium that is backed by a PEC, where the 1s represent very thin, square copper plates-- and the 0s-- none.

I am fully able to design this structure; however, when it comes time to analyze it I must be doing something wrong.

Let me explain:
So I setup a Floquet Port a short distance above the surface of 1s and 0s (with that same dimensions as my dielectric substrate) and assign to it master/slave boundary conditions that are seen in HFSS manuals and on the internet (no errors, everything looks good). My resonant frequency is 37GHz, and I can sweep from 12-62GHz with ease. However, when it comes time to insert a far field calculation, things become tricky for me.

I can setup a far field calculation and obtain a RCS, but the problem presents itself in the solution! The RCS represents what one would expect from a PEC and dielectric alone, without the 1s. We should expect that, in a graph of RCS vs. Theta (incident angle off of z axis, going from -90 deg to 90 deg) that, at a 45 deg polarization, a significant decrease in RCS would be observed at normal incidence (0 deg). But like I said, there is no such observable. I have also tried to setup a unit cell analysis of this pattern to no avail. My question really is: how should I go about setting up an analysis for this type of pattern? I cannot find any resources specifically explaining how to model these checkerboard patterns in HFSS or CST. I can only find information for arrays of 1s only (both finite and infinite), but this seems to not be useful for my intentions. I have attached an image of the array.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    337.5 KB · Views: 128

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back