Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What will happen if battery cell draws more current than rated

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoopathiS

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Battery cell can deliver current based on load. I'm using Samsung 33G cell, which has 6A continous and 9.75A discontinous discharge current. Can i use it for 9A for 20mins ?

Hi,

I´d say "20min" can be seen as "continous", thus it´s beyond specifications.

Detailed answer should give the datasheet .. if you don´t find the answer, then I recommend to contact the manufacturer.

What can happen:
* The first I can think of: overtemperature, explosion, fire. Possible solution: monitor the temperature and switch OFF on overtemperature.
* The next: reduced lifetime. No idea how to overcome this.
* The next: reduced output voltage

Mind: Even if you do tests ... and you see it is working satisfactory.. then I still recommend to install some safety features (like overtemperature fuse), because the mattery may work on different environment conditions: High ambient temperature, reduced airflow... Additionally you don´t know how the battery chemistry ages and how this changes behaviour. I can imagine that an aged battery has increased heat generation.

Independent what answers are given in the forum: If you go beyond specification, then it´s your own risk.

Klaus

I'm using Samsung 33G cell, which has 6A continous and 9.75A discontinous discharge current. Can i use it for 9A for 20mins ?

It depends.

20min may appear small time for you but for a bacterium it is whole life time.

Thus, 20mins must be considered in a proper perspective.

Say the battery capacity is 100AH and it can supply 6A for 16h and then you can consider 20min to be rather a short time.

On the other hand if the battery capacity is 10AH, it can supply 6A for 1.5h and then 20min at 9A is excessive load.

As I say, it all depends.

Hi,
Battery cell can deliver current based on load. I'm using Samsung 33G cell, which has 6A continous and 9.75A discontinous discharge current. Can i use it for 9A for 20mins ?

Google tells me that a Samsung 33G has a 3.15AH rating. Thus even a fresh cell would be exhausted in about 30 minutes @6A, and in 20minutes @9A. So "discontinous" probably refers to time periods which are much shorter _ 1 minute or so.

However to note is that the voltage will drop quite a bit by the end, and also Google tells me that Li-Ion batteries are sensitive to over-discharge, so maybe not a good idea to do such a deep discharge very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.