Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to Make Monte Carlo Simulation fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syfulcste

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sir,
I am currently using a Monte Carlo simulation for a benchmark circuit to verify the result. In order to do so, i use timing(VCS) and power(primetime px) simulation. For dumping data I use VCD file. Ptpx is used for reading power for a text pattern in every launch cycle. But it seems very slow as VCD contain very detail information. So make it fast, I want to use VPD or EVCD. Would you pls suggest me with lines of commands needed to do so.

monte carlo and fast, pick one.

I do not understand your comments. Would you pls elaborate. Actually, I need to save vcd file into vpd formate. But I am not sure how to do it.

I do not understand your comments. Would you pls elaborate. Actually, I need to save vcd file into vpd formate. But I am not sure how to do it.

I will spell it out for you... monte carlo will never be fast, it cannot be fast, because it is a series of simulations one after the other after the other. There is no magical file format that can help with that.

I will spell it out for you... monte carlo will never be fast, it cannot be fast, because it is a series of simulations one after the other. There is no magical file format that can help with that.

Dear Sam,
Actually according to VCS manual, I found VPD or eVCD formate of dump file can decrease size of file than vcd file formate. For Monte Carlo simulation, I need only the VCS and ptpx simulation repeatedly. But I am not sure how to properly generate the VPD or eVCD file. Thank you dear.

Dear Sam,
Actually according to VCS manual, I found VPD or eVCD formate of dump file can decrease size of file than vcd file formate. For Monte Carlo simulation, I need only the VCS and ptpx simulation repeatedly. But I am not sure how to properly generate the VPD or eVCD file. Thank you dear.

You are looking at wasting a lot of time converting files for no good reason. It will not improve simulation time.

Dear Sam,
I am very sorry. Would you pls suggest me...what should I do?.

Best Regards

Dear Sam,
I am very sorry. Would you pls suggest me...what should I do?.

Best Regards

please explain the reason you are trying to do monte carlo to begin with. I have seen people misuse techniques all the time, this might be one of those times.

please explain the reason you are trying to do monte carlo to begin with. I have seen people misuse techniques all the time, this might be one of those times.

Dear Sam,
I need to verify my result using Monte Carlo simulation. To do so, I need only timing and power simulation of benchmark circuits. But when I dump vcs file into VCD file formate, it becomes very large. So primetimepx tool rerquire huge time to get power calulation from vcd file. To do so, my aim is to reduce vcd file by saving it into other formate for example .vpd formate, that reduce the file size and also help to make faster simulation. I am still strugling to make it faster. Would you pls give me some tips?.

Best Regards

is this a digital circuit? why can't you validate it using corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back