Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a variable current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsdr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey!
I want to design a variable current source, voltage controlled - from 0.1mA to 2.5A.
Do you have any tips, circuits, etc?

Many thanks!

What voltage, high side or low side? A diagram of exactly what you want would help.

Just google 'current source' and you'll see many topologies.

Hi,

this already has been discussed many times.
You will find many threads here in the forum and many more in the internet.
Simplest: click on the links in the box below "similar threads".

Btw: I agree with the posts above. Missing a lot of your requirements / specifications.

Klaus

Hey all!
Thanks for replying.
I'm currently working on specification.
All I know for now is that the control voltage should be 0-5V OR 0-10V, preferably to 0-5V.
About a block diagram- attached
Capture.JPG

Klaus, What does it mean high side or low side?

Thanks again. I will try and go through similar posts and come back if I'll have any more questions:)

Hi,
Thanks for clarifying.
I looked on your tutorial and tried simulating it at LTSPICE and didn't get any results.
I'm still reading about it in various sources.
The things I see the most are an OPAMP in which the output is connected to a transistor (BJT or MOS) that opens the current for the load.
How do I begin in designing a one of my own? How do I chose the opamp, the type of transistor, etc?

The requirements I have so far:
- Controlled current- between 0.1mA to 2.5A
- Controlling voltage- 0-5V
- No frequency response as far as I know
- About high/low side- I will read about it more in order to figure out what is best for the design.

Thanks again.

Hi,

How do I begin in designing a one of my own? How do I chose the opamp, the type of transistor, etc?
There is a tutorial.. and you ask how to start.
...Maybe start telling us what you did so far and what results you get. Informations like "didn't get any results" aren´t helpful..

How do I chose the opamp, the type of transistor, etc?
OPAMP:
Uncritical. Use a common one for the simulation. If the simulation fails it won´t burn down your house. That´s the benefit of a simulation.
For real world: Power supply should meet your requirements... That´s the most critical.

Transistor:
.... is written in the tutorial.

Klaus

Here's a common, low-side, constant-current circuit consisting of an N-MOSFET and an opamp.
The op amp must be a single-supply type, and the MOSFET should be rated for at least 5A.
The MOSFET must be mounted on a heatsink.
R1 should be a 1W resistor.
The circuit values shown give a current of 0-2.5A for a 0-5V input.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 107

Hey
Here is the simulation I ran:
CurrentSourceSimulation.JPG

The graph is the Iload vs V1 (Input)

I think the problem is with the transistor and OPAMP I chose? I will try to simulate again. Thanks!

31crutschow, Thanks. I will try it as well.

Hi,

you missed to add the 40k resistor between R5 and R6..

Klaus

Hey everyone
For the meantime we decided to try the solution summitville offered, a dedicated IC: LT3083 & LT3086.
I will update in any changes or progress I will make in them or in the other circuits.
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back