Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] Help with reading UPS drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubavac111

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, everybody, this is my first post.

I would like to ask for help with analysing drawing of a certain UPS. This UPS converts 3-phase 440VAC to 48VDC.
It would mean a world to me if someone could try to explain what they see in this drawing. I get stuck really quickly.
All I see is the Mains power going to Transformer TP and after that to some thyristor block??? I suppose capacitors CF1 and CF2 and inductors LF1 and LF2 should smooth the dc voltage….i don’t know…
I mean, I understand that 440VAC needs to be stepped down to some voltage and rectified to DC and then somehow the batteries need to be charged. But if someone could tell me in greater details what is going on on this drawing, I would really be suuuuuper happy.

For example:
1. What is the purpose of capacitors C1, C2, C3?
2. How are the batteries charged?
3. What is the purpose of TS (serial regulator)?
4. What is the purpose of PL (Pilot board)?

I have so many questions, but I would be more than happy if someone could answer only these for the beginning. You can check out the drawing and markings below. Many thanks for any help!!

122.jpg111.jpg

Re: Help with reading UPS drawing

Are the Batteries connected to "B+ & B-" or "U+ & U-" ?

A1) C1, C2 & C3 appear to suppress switching noise.
A2) The battery is charged by the 3 Phase Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier, consisting of the 3 SCR's & 3 Diodes with smoothing by L1 + C1 + L2 + C2
A3) Assuming the Batteries are connected to "U+ & U-" then TS Controls the Charging Current, maybe with a PWM type signal
A4) PL Board controls the Firing Angle, the Turn-On time, of the SCR's

Re: Help with reading UPS drawing

Are the Batteries connected to "B+ & B-" or "U+ & U-" ?

A1) C1, C2 & C3 appear to suppress switching noise.
A2) The battery is charged by the 3 Phase Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier, consisting of the 3 SCR's & 3 Diodes with smoothing by L1 + C1 + L2 + C2
A3) Assuming the Batteries are connected to "U+ & U-" then TS Controls the Charging Current, maybe with a PWM type signal
A4) PL Board controls the Firing Angle, the Turn-On time, of the SCR's

Amazing, thank you so muuuch for replying, this means a lot to me.

I was wondering what you might think would be the reason why this UPS intermittently trips due to High Output Voltage? Which component is the most likely to blame? Or could it be only the loose connection?

Btw, the batteries are connected to B+ & B- and the consumer to U+ & U-.

Status
Not open for further replies.