Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rem and mod operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahmood.n

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
There is a question about synthesizing mod/rem operators.

X mod N where N is positive:
This can be synthesized by taking the least log2(N) bits of X.
X can be positive of negative (2's complement).

How about negative N numbers?
For example, 1 mod -4 = -3
How this is synthesized?

The same question exists for rem.
-1 rem 4 = -1
-1 rem -4 = -1

Presume you are asking about VHDL. You can review ieee.numeric_std library how mod and rem are evaluated. Both are finally referring to unsigned division DIVMOD(). With power of two denominator, it reduces to shift and mask operation and can be implemented without actual division operation.

Non power-of-two right hand operand may infer a parallel divider, depending on the tool capabilities.

Hi,

Although it is not clear what you are asking for but I'll just give it a shot.

A rem B = C:
in this case C is the remainder after dividing the absolute value of A by the absolute value of B.
C has the same sign as A irrespective of the sign of B.

A mod B = C:
In this case, C is the remainder after dividing the absolute value of A by the absolute value of B.
C has the same sign as B irrespective of the sign of A.

I hope that's what you asked for. If not, you may have to rephrase your question for better understanding.

Last edited:

Lets say in VHDL we have written while assuming that A and B are bit_vector(7 downto 0)

A := B mod 4;

How that is synthesized? Simply mask B with a pattern which is (B AND 000000011). So it is an AND gate.

Now, I want to know how to synthesize (1 mod -4)? The right hand operand is power of 2.
If we use an AND gate with absolute value of the negative right operand and then find the 2's complement of the result, then the result is invalid. For example, first we have (1 mod 4) which is (00000001 AND 00000011) which is (00000001) and then complement it to get (11111110) which is (-1) and not -3.

Can you explain that?

Why do you think that 1 mod 4 is synthesised using an AND gate? Try 6 MOD 3 with an AND gate and you won't get 0.

This is the analytical implication
MOD:
A = B*N + (A mod B) where N is a integer and A mod B is as described in pots #3.

REM:
A = (A/B)*B + (A rem B); where A rem B is as described in post #3.

If you are always going to perform (1 mod -4) then leave the operation and take the answer which is -3. Operators are for arbitrary values so all test cases must yield their correct answer with a certain method before you adopt the method.

- - - Updated - - -

The best bet would be to use a for loop.

Last edited:

As far as I understand, the OP wants to implement MOD operation for power of two denominator. That's of course possible without a divider.

Lets say in VHDL we have written while assuming that A and B are bit_vector(7 downto 0)

A := B mod 4;

How that is synthesized? Simply mask B with a pattern which is (B AND 000000011). So it is an AND gate.

Now, I want to know how to synthesize (1 mod -4)? The right hand operand is power of 2.
If we use an AND gate with absolute value of the negative right operand and then find the 2's complement of the result, then the result is invalid. For example, first we have (1 mod 4) which is (00000001 AND 00000011) which is (00000001) and then complement it to get (11111110) which is (-1) and not -3.

Can you explain that?

(1 mod -4) is -1 -------not -3
(1 mod 4) is 0 remainder 1
giving that result of 1 the sign of -4 results in -1
Your method if masking with 00000011 is correct because (1 mod 4) = (00000001 AND 00000011) = (00000001).
If we take the MSB as the sign bit, then Taking the 2's compement of (00000001) gives (11111110 + 00000001) = (10000001) which is -1.

(1 mod -4) is -1 -------not -3
My VHDL tool says it's -3, no reason to doubt about. Please review numeric_std.vhd how it's calculated.

Code VHDL - [expand]
if XL(XL'LEFT)='1' then
      XNUM := UNSIGNED(-XL);
    else
      XNUM := UNSIGNED(XL);
    end if;
    if XR(XR'LEFT)='1' then
      XDENOM := UNSIGNED(-XR);
      RNEG := TRUE;
    else
      XDENOM := UNSIGNED(XR);
    end if;
    DIVMOD(XNUM, XDENOM, FQUOT, FREMAIN);
    if RNEG and L(L'LEFT)='1' then
      FREMAIN := "0"-FREMAIN;
    elsif RNEG and FREMAIN/="0" then
      FREMAIN := FREMAIN-XDENOM;
    elsif L(L'LEFT)='1' and FREMAIN/="0" then
      FREMAIN := XDENOM-FREMAIN;
    end if;
    return SIGNED(FREMAIN);

Result -3 also fulfills the identity given in post #6:

A = B*N + (A MOD B)
1 = -4*-1 + -3

My VHDL tool says it's -3, no reason to doubt about. Please review numeric_std.vhd how it's calculated.

Code VHDL - [expand]
if XL(XL'LEFT)='1' then
      XNUM := UNSIGNED(-XL);
    else
      XNUM := UNSIGNED(XL);
    end if;
    if XR(XR'LEFT)='1' then
      XDENOM := UNSIGNED(-XR);
      RNEG := TRUE;
    else
      XDENOM := UNSIGNED(XR);
    end if;
    DIVMOD(XNUM, XDENOM, FQUOT, FREMAIN);
    if RNEG and L(L'LEFT)='1' then
      FREMAIN := "0"-FREMAIN;
    elsif RNEG and FREMAIN/="0" then
      FREMAIN := FREMAIN-XDENOM;
    elsif L(L'LEFT)='1' and FREMAIN/="0" then
      FREMAIN := XDENOM-FREMAIN;
    end if;
    return SIGNED(FREMAIN);

Result -3 also fulfills the identity given in post #6:

A = B*N + (A MOD B)
1 = -4*-1 + -3
Yes, you're right. That was me and my blunder. Apologies.

I noticed something that I'd like you to confirm:
If A and B bear the same sign, then (A mod B) = (A rem B).

Status
Not open for further replies.