Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matching 75ohm antenna to 300ohm receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

geotFM

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello i have this rabbit ear antenna and i want to connect it to my 300ohm receiver input. i wont use the 300 to 75 ohm balun but as i know the open dipole antenna is 75ohm but here its connected to a 300ohm cable .do i miss something here?How to match it properly to 300ohm balanced cable?

Attachments

• acl-tva34b.jpg
    acl-tva34b.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Twinlead.gif
    Twinlead.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 168
  • s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Interesting observation. The only thing that comes to mind is that since the mismatch is not so high (~2dB) hence balun this is not included. Maybe to save cost?

For Transmitter however, it would be important.

Open Dipole Antenna has approx. 300 Ohm Impedance but there is a Balun in the TV Connector

Open Dipole Antenna has approx. 300 Ohm Impedance...

This is contrary to all known calculations and empirical evidence.
This IS true for a closed (folded) dipole.

Last edited:

Here is the deal. If your length of 300 ohm cable is short (less than 1/8 wavelength) it does not matter.

Only if you have a long transmission line is it a concern

Balanced to unbalanced conversion is more important than impedance matching. An unbalanced load can screw up a dipole’s performance something fierce

Are you sure it's a 300 ohm line? What is the wire diameter, and the wire spacing??

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the deal. If your length of 300 ohm cable is short (less than 1/8 wavelength) it does not matter.

Only if you have a long transmission line is it a concern

Balanced to unbalanced conversion is more important than impedance matching. An unbalanced load can screw up a dipole’s performance something fierce

Good point. So in this particular case the antenna is obviously balanced and so is the cable. But that connector looks like an unbalanced 75ohm. There's probably a balun hidden inside that black end-plug

- - - Updated - - -

You should open it up and have a look-see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back