Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Including VHDL libraries to add two signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have very basic question regarding VHDL libraries. I just want to add two 32 bit unsigned numbers. I need some help regarding which library I really need to include in the VHDL code

The libraries are here

Code:
library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.numeric_std.all; 
use ieee.std_logic_arith.all;
use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;

and the signal in which I need to add a constant 32 bit unsigned number is here

Code:
tdata_out <= tdata_in + x"0A0A0A0A";

Std_logic_arith and std_logic_unsigned are non-standard VHDL libraries. So I would recommend the use of only numeric_std, which is part of the VHDL standard.

ieee.numeric_std.all; -- This is the official source for "unsigned" and "signed" types. Just use this. Monkeys on a ladder and whatnot.
ieee.std_logic_arith.all -- This also defines "unsigned" and "signed" types. It wasn't from ieee, so people will look at its inclusion with murder-eyes.
ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all -- This is the controversy package. It is basically "use verilog". But it also wasn't from ieee so it also has the monkeys on a ladder issue. VHDL-2008 has an official version of this -- and this version should be used where applicable.

std_logic_unsigned/numeric_std_unsigned make VHDL more like Verilog. SLV's get an unsigned interpretation. This is an issue with equality comparisons. With SLU, "0100" = "100", but without SLU, "0100" /= "100".

I would use numeric_std only and an unsigned constant.

If I remove "use ieee.std_logic_arith.all;" then it's fine but I have to keep "use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;" together with "use ieee.numeric_std.all; " to have no errors in simulation.

If "use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;" is a non-standard VHDL, would it create any issue in synthesis ?

Here are the libraries which I have added in VHDL file.

library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;

std_logic_unsigned gives std_logic_vector an unsigned interpretation. This is similar to Verilog. It works fine. The gotcha is that "0" = "00" now, while "0" /= "00" (+warning) before.

The issue is with + operator. If I remove "use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;" then it gives error in simulation. Therefore, I have to use both

Is that ok to run synthesis with above two libraries ?

The issue is with + operator. If I remove "use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;" then it gives error in simulation. Therefore, I have to use both

Yes. It seems weird, but this works fine. std_logic_unsigned defines functions on std_logic_vector. There are no conflicts with numeric_std.

Yes, it's okay to use it. No issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.