+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

shape sensor can be used with a prosthetic hand

I am making a prosthetic hand for a competition. For that i have to solve a task with that hand. The task is to identify 3 shapes(square, cylinder and ball) with out seeing that. The size of the items will be in between 50 to 60mm for the side or as the diameter. As per the rule i cannot use a camera. Is there any sensor to identify all these shapes. The sensor should be firmly attachable to the hand without disturbing the normal activities of the hand.
    Also i wish to know the commonly used motors for prosthetic hand. Wish to give the hand to an amputee after the competition. so it should be as accurate as possible

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 4
    Helped
    180 / 180
    Level

Re: shape sensor can be used with a prosthetic hand

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator

Helped
    2542 / 2542
    Level

Re: shape sensor can be used with a prosthetic hand

I picture a grid of switches, packed densely so that at least one switch is pressed by a corner of a square when the hand squeezes it.
    * Therefore if only 3 or 4 switches turn on, then it tells you it's a square. (Plus maybe a few switches in a row between corners.)
    * The ball presses a majority of switches.
    * The cylinder presses a large rectangular area. In addition possibly a disk-shaped area or portion of a disk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grid of surface switches.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	153125

A grid of membrane switches could give it flexibility. Several switches in a row could be installed on fingers.

--[[ ]]--