Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] IC prgramming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasithgayan

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
please help I found 8 pin IC on circuit board which has a part number 25q128a 13e40 and it consider as Serial NOR Flash Memory on datasheet,So can I replace this ic with same part number new ic or does it need to program before soldering n circuit.

Datasheet
View attachment n25q_128mb_1_8v_65nm.pdf

PLEASE tell someone what should I do ???

It's a SPI flash device, if there is a SPI master connected to the device then it might be capable of in circuit programming. As you've given no clue as to what the device is installed on nor a circuit schematic of the connections, so we can only guess.

I would lean towards yes you can probably program it when it is installed on the PCB, but I've seen designs that didn't allow that.

Reactions: hasithgayan

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

hasithgayan

thanks for the reply.
this IC from canon pixma e610 logic board and i cant find schematic.
How can I identify SPI master chip on circuit???

Unless there is some special grassroots modder group that likes to work with the Canon Pixma printers and has reverse engineered the SPI flash programming it is highly unlikely that you will be able to get access to the bootloader (if there is one) that Canon uses program that SPI flash device. As Canon doesn't seem to have any kind of firmware update for the printer there might not be any way to program the flash device once installed on the board (besides those firmware updates normally require there is an existing bootloader that is normally in that same flash device).

Why do you need to install a new flash device? If the flash device was damaged you won't have what was programmed on the device so the printer will still be broken.

Reactions: hasithgayan

V

hasithgayan

thanks for the reply
25Q128A (above mention of my question) chip has burn on my printer.
If i replace this chip with same part number chip from ebay. Does printer work?
sorry for asking same question again, most of the details you mention more advance to me,
Please reply,

thanks for the reply
25Q128A (above mention of my question) chip has burn on my printer.
If i replace this chip with same part number chip from ebay. Does printer work?
sorry for asking same question again, most of the details you mention more advance to me,
Please reply,

Probably won't work. The SPI flash probably has either settings that are needed and/or the actual software that runs the printer, without those configuration settings or the firmware that runs the printer on the SPI flash device it won't work.

I'm assuming the printer does not work (i.e. does not boot up) and you figure the burnt chip is the issue?

thanks for the reply
yes,when power supply to the logic board chip was getting hot , so i remove it from circuit board and check,then figure out that chip has short circuit pin 4 (Vss) and pin 8 (Vcc).
so replace whole board finally..???

thanks for the reply
yes,when power supply to the logic board chip was getting hot , so i remove it from circuit board and check,then figure out that chip has short circuit pin 4 (Vss) and pin 8 (Vcc).
so replace whole board finally..???
From your description I wonder if the IC went into latchup due to ground problems on the board or large input signal spikes due to poor impedance matching of the signals to the flash. If latchup occurred that would explain the short, power supply heating, and the burnt IC.

If you remove the part and can find a replacement part/board from another printer you can probably fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.