Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA and processors working

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushl

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I was hoping to get some insight as to why FPGA's and Microprocessors are both used together on the same board.
I would like to start from referring to some already existing FPGA-Processor designs(Eg Artix with an SOC ) , can anyone point me towards that direction by providing links? It would be of immense help.

Thanks and Regards
sushl

Hi,

use the microcontroller with user software.
use the FPGA
* to replace glue logic (example: address decoder)
* as fast parallel processing device
* as fast state machine (controlling sampling of an ADC and write the results into SRAM, without microcontroller processing power)
* and many other digital solutions

Klaus

Reactions: sushl

sushl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The Processor will be the "brains" and decision maker. The FPGA will be the data processor.
FPGAs can easily handle and process 10s of GBits of data. The Processor will decide how the processor should handle it all.

Hi,

use the microcontroller with user software.
use the FPGA
* to replace glue logic (example: address decoder)
* as fast parallel processing device
* as fast state machine (controlling sampling of an ADC and write the results into SRAM, without microcontroller processing power)
* and many other digital solutions

Klaus
Thanks
Are there any designs where i can find and understand the usage of both FPGA and Processor together, on a peripheral level.

Look up the Xilinx Zynq and its various demo boards etc. Zinq has a large arm processor paired with an FPGA.

FPGA's are good at parallel tasks, timing critical paths and specialized tasks like signal processing.

For example I know that Siglent uses Zynq's in their Oscilloscopes where they undoubtedly use the FPGA fabric to process the samples in real time, detect triggers, calculate measurements etc while the processor handles the GUI and misc system tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back