Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do company sites have inductors and capacitors in an s2p file format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
First of all, I am trying to find the s1p file for the 1812SMS_27NG (27nH coilcraft aircore inductor) as shown in the figure below where it is labeled CC27nH (also shown in this report on page 38: https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5990-3356EN.pdf).

I went to the Coilcraft website hoping to find the s1p file for that exact inductor (https://www.coilcraft.com/midi.cfm), but instead they only have an s2p file format. I was trying to figure out if something might be wrong, so I learned more about 1 port and 2 port networks, which I have read that resistors, capacitors, and inductors are all 1 port networks and in conclusion should be in an s1p format, right? Maybe the reason for the s2p file could be that the parasitic transmission line makes it into a 2-port network instead? Anyway, I thought if I only needed one s-parameter then I would need to pick the S11 or the S22 parameters from the list and make it into an s1p format, but I am not sure if that would be an accurate way to express the s1p file as?

If I used the s2p file instead for the inductor, then what should the ref pin be connected to? to ground? or be left open? such as the FBblk capacitor in the figure below, which has the ref pin connected to ground.

circuit(4).jpg

Last edited:

Inductors and capacitors are two-port components, so it is not strange manufacturers supply s2p files. If you need only one port, you can derive the s1p file by given terminate conditions of another port (open, short to GND, 50 Ohm temination...).

Last edited:

Use the S2P and connect the ref to ground. This is how components are measured.

If your SMD is grounded on one terminal, then connect both that terminal and S2P reference to circuit ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back