Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tube filaments on 230v? What do I need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember old television sets tubes filaments glowed brightly when the tv was switched on. Then they shut off and after a few seconds went red glow (normal operation). This is the case in almost all televisions I have seen. I do not think they worried too much for the inrush current when the filaments are cold. And I have never seen a tube filament broken from that era.

I recently built up a hybrid valve/mosfet amplifier running of 12vdc.
I couldn't get it to play ball and someone suggested a higher dc voltage.
So I tried 30 volts only to suddenly realise the heaters were running off 30 volts too !
Luckily the heaters survived it. So it looks like heaters can take a bit of abuse.

There is something additional, that was explained to me *decades ago* by a tube engineer: the maximum filament to cathode breakdown voltage.

For instance the 12AX7 / ECC83 tube has only 180 volts peak rating, which very likely could be exceeded on a direct 230 volt line.

The 50C5 which was designed for the "All American Five" transformerless radios, has a slightly improved margin of 200 volts peak rating. But the line voltage is only 120 volts AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.