Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TCM3105 what happens if data is sent at a higher rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I design a modem using the TCM3105 (datasheet available on the net).
The computer device that will be connected to it has an RS-232 with only 1200 baud RX and 1200 baud TX half duplex.

1. What will happen if I configure the tcm3105 for 600RX/600TX whereas I am trying to send and receive data to it from the computer at 1200?
On sending, will the modem throw away sent characters because it can't cope?
On receiving, will the modem work ok, since it receives only 600 baud but it is configured for 1200. Or it could not cope with it at all?

2. Will the tcm3105 matter if it is connected to the RS232 port (+/- voltages available) or does it need 0v/5v for logic?

Thanks

The modem chip processes bits and doesn't know about "characters". Respectively it's not able to perform any kind of baud rate conversion. Not easy to predict if using foreign bit rates will give meaningful results. Why would you do this?

It's a 5V chip and uses TTL logic level. Connecting RS232 input signals may damage it.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The modem chip processes bits and doesn't know about "characters". Respectively it's not able to perform any kind of baud rate conversion. Not easy to predict if using foreign bit rates will give meaningful results. Why would you do this?

The system that controls the tcm3105 has fixed 1200TX/1200RX speeds. So this should work ok if the chip is configured for 1200/1200.
However I want to use the chip for lower data rates (comms on HF radio for example) which require much lower speed (even 75 baud). So I wonder what is happening inside the chip, does it throw the data or it won't be able to communicate at all? This is a kind of long time question for me

Based on the TI data sheet, it should work at almost any speed as it doesn't time the frequency shifts, it just responds to them as they happen. It is only an FSK modulator and demodulator, it doesn't care what speed you feed to it but obviously there is a limit determined by the number of cycles per bit in the audio waveform. The data sheet shows configuration examples for 600/600 and for 150/150 Bauds. You should keep to the same crystal frequency though as it determines the filtering characteristics and tones.

Brian.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Based on the TI data sheet, it should work at almost any speed as it doesn't time the frequency shifts, it just responds to them as they happen. It is only an FSK modulator and demodulator, it doesn't care what speed you feed to it but obviously there is a limit determined by the number of cycles per bit in the audio waveform. The data sheet shows configuration examples for 600/600 and for 150/150 Bauds. You should keep to the same crystal frequency though as it determines the filtering characteristics and tones.

Brian.

So can I leave the settings of the tcm3105 at 1200/1200 and just send ttl data at lower speeds?
But not the other way round, right?

Correct - the different mode settings change the frequency pairs and maybe filtering but not the bit rate.

It's worth considering how much audio the modem has to decode, at 1200 Bauds it only gets ~1 cycle of audio to work out the frequency so you can see why pushing the speed higher will lead to failure.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.