Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protect children from the bomb blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA3040

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All

Three weeks ago ( 21/Api/2019) our country was attacked by the terrorist blasting 9 bombs in 8 locations . 253 peoples were killed and more than 400 injured. All schools were closed up to now . Even thought government enounce to open the school the parents do not send students to school due veriest gossip over the social media. I am a teacher who teaching electronics and robotics for students in a school having more than 3500 students but today students attended is 16 :cry:

My requirement is please advice make a low cost explosive or bomb detector which will be help protect the children

Have a face day to all

Thanks in advanced

I appreciate your intention, but I fear there's no simple technical solution. Ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) is a technique that can be possibly implemented in DIY instruments, but it's rather unspecific, detecting a large number of compounds. It would also require calibration with real explosive samples.

It's an unusual request for unusual times. It may become a more frequent request, the way the world is getting. A detector ought to be located close to entrances, yet hidden from view.

Possible ideas:

* Electronic device (although it may be theoretical) which is tuned to be sensitive to pick up electrical signals from a nearby electronic device.

* Electronic sensor which can detect gases which are associated with explosive substances, or batteries used in bombs. These might be ammonia compounds, sulfurous compounds, etc.

* Metal detector (perhaps theoretical) for sensing substances used in batteries (metals including lead).

* 'See-through' detectors such as airport security has. These are controversial.

* A non-electronic device could be a bomb-sniffing dog. He could be tended by a plainclothes security guard. The aim is to make a relaxed setting so children are at ease.

Better suggestions are available from someone with training in this field.

First - I have to say I have no expertise in this field but I would say I have a good mind for lateral thinking, finding less obvious solutions to obvious problems.

Low cost is paramount and I can't see any way to detect explosive substances other than those already mentioned, even then there are ways to disguise or obscure detectors of all types. Look at the problem from a different angle: rather than look for explosives, look for the students.

I think the first method is to use electronic ID cards and a secure entry system. I'm thinking of RFID cards with unique serial numbers and a two stage entry route. The vulnerable places are where students gather together and the most obvious of these is at the entrance so use fences to keep them in a line, say 5m apart and make them use the card to join the line and exit it at the other end so only one student at a time can be in the fenced area but they can pass quickly to avoid a crowd forming while waiting to enter. This already gives some security because cards would only be issued to authorized students and keeping them spaced apart would minimize risk by maintaining distance. RFID card numbers can easily be saved in a database to check validity and can be revoked as a student finishes their course or if the card is lost or stolen.

The second method, along side the first would be to make students drop anything they are carrying onto a conveyor belt beside the fenced path so it can follow them to the exit end where they can pick it up again. This lets someone manually search for anything suspicious and offers the opportunity to add technical search equipment at a later date if needed. X-Ray is the obvious method but is still needs eyes to look at the image, it might be possible to make a very low cost X-Ray source and camera using inexpensive parts though as it would not need medical calibration or certification.

I'm not sure if cheap 'webcam' cameras are sensitive to X-Ray wavelengths but if they are, a very simple system could be built at very low cost.

Brian.

bomb detecting dogs

if you implement betwixt's system of fences, entry cards and "air lock" entry system, is should apply to all
students, teachers, staff, etc who enters the building

as for visitors, such as delivery people, repair people, and ??, some could have cards for a drop off entrance away from the students
where they would walk/drive up, drop their wares, and leave.

it also has to be 24 / 7 so a bomb cannot be left overnight

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate your intention, but I fear there's no simple technical solution. Ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) is a technique that can be possibly implemented in DIY instruments, but it's rather unspecific, detecting a large number of compounds. It would also require calibration with real explosive samples.

Thanks for the reply

Explosive sample can be able to have by the government once we have develop the device certain extend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back