Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Project! Looking for suggestions with spectrum analyzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aukvers773

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone, I am trying to start a new project and I am trying to find a cheap way to detect the frequency and strength of a signal from ~18-40GHz. I am not looking to collect data or anything, just a simple device that says if something is transmitting in that frequency range.

I don't need anything fancy or precise but I am relatively new to RF so I could really use some advice!

I found cheap spectrum analyzers online that are about $300 and connect to a computer but they only go to about 4GHz. Would it be possible to simply down convert the frequency and adjust for the difference in software? Also sorry for sounding stupid, please let me know if there is something I can read up on for this project!

New to RF but starting at >18GHz!!! Wow, good luck to you!

But meanwhile please tell me where I can get 4GHz analyser for $300 ��

Converting 18-40 GHz needs also precise RF systems, not so easy.
You cannot find anything around 300 $ even to convert 18-40GHz into lower frequency.You play with RF, it's so expensive..

An external coaxial or waveguide detector operated as harmonic mixer, that's how old style spectrum analyzers like Tek 491 covered the higher GHz range. Frequency reading is ambiguous, you need to sweep the frequency to identify the harmonic order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back