Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What role does an element play(shematic question)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intiCA

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
Could anyone shed the light on what role does an element play in this particular case. A picture attached.
I mean shottky diode (SB150).

Thank you.

Attachments

• shottky.png
    shottky.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Perhaps just protection against reverse transients. If we could see where it was coming from that would help.

Reactions: intiCA

intiCA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Perhaps just protection against reverse transients. If we could see where it was coming from that would help.

it's just a control for inputs Transmit (Enable) TTL '1', Receive (Enable) TTL '0'.

It serves no purpose at all in the schematics you show. I would guess it protects against something wrong on the signal driving the enable lines or protects other circuits in the event of a ground fault between the two ends putting excessive offset on the control signal.

Brian.

intiCA

Hi,

Yes, I agree. It looks like it is probably/possibly just to keep negative going transients from going lower than e.g. ~-150mV to ~-300mV. Sometimes in simulations at turn-off signals don't stop at 0V/0A but go a lot lower and would damage devices.

intiCA

Yes, that's exactly what it does. It prevents the voltage at that pin from going too negative below GND. It is also very often used at the PWM controller outputs to MOSFETs in SMPS.

intiCA

Status
Not open for further replies.