Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to recognize a capacitor (SMD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intiCA

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and honestly saying I didn't find here an appopriate branch for my question.
So I've chosen this one.

Well,
I need to know all characteristics of capacitor (SMD), a picture attached.
I did some search on data which are written on the body. However, I found nothing useful on this matter. In other words this kind of capacitors are just missing in EPCOS datasheets I found.

So, could anyone shed the light on this matter?

In particular I need to know:
  • nominal capacitance
  • type of smd capacitor
  • equivalent sample

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• EPCOS_cap.jpg
    EPCOS_cap.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: intiCA

intiCA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

What about type? Are there any thoughts?
Updated in the meantime: --> see post#2

Klaus

I've seen.
SMD tantalum capacitors, do they die same way over the years as usual polar electrolytic ones? Your opinion please?

The failure mechanism for a Tantalum capacitor is significantly different to that of Aluminum capacitors.

Epcos, Kemet, AVX and other major manufacturers have plenty of white papers discussing failure mechanisms and its mitigation. Of the top of my head, reverse polarity will kill a Tantalum almost instantly, whereas the Aluminums are more forgiving in this respect.

BTW, your photo shows a 25v capacitor.

intiCA

The failure mechanism for a Tantalum capacitor is significantly different to that of Aluminum capacitors.

Epcos, Kemet, AVX and other major manufacturers have plenty of white papers discussing failure mechanisms and its mitigation. Of the top of my head, reverse polarity will kill a Tantalum almost instantly, whereas the Aluminums are more forgiving in this respect.

BTW, your photo shows a 25v capacitor.

polarity reverse: it's clear, it kills aluminium ones too.
Mostly I'm interested in, for example, aluminium comprise electrolyte loosing its features over the years. What about tantalum ones. Do they remain extremely stable over the years?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Aluminum capacitors use wet electrolyte.
It may dry out over the years.

Tantalum uses dry electrolyte, thus it can't dry out.

Klaus

intiCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back