Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic analog BJT hFE tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

d123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

This is a very simple/rudimentary analog BJT hFE tester, quite simply it can be used to sort batches of transistors into Beta lots of e.g. 140, 180, 200, and so on. I made this at the end of 2015 and just remembered it last night and thought I'd upload it here as it is my DIY electronics.

There are far better ways of doing this kind of device, I know. Not that impressive in the age of IoT, IIoT and so on. It's a very poor cousin to a curve tracer and could perhaps be improved with a PIC/MCU for example, but it is effective for quickly sorting by Beta.

The pdf is the more legible version of the schematic, it was done in a schematic capture program that didn't export jpg versions nicely, unfortunately. There's no PCB layout as I still do my 35um solid copper FR4 boards by hand... Solid/single ground planes forever!

It can be set for 10uA, 100uA and 1mA with settings for 10R, 1R or 0R1 respectively. Has "Okay" (power good), over-range and fault LED indicators. Uses the (old) classic 7135 ADC and the rest are off-the-shelf components such as 7805s, 2N2222s and 2N2907s, 7660 and some diodes and rotary switches and buttons, basically.

Had a lot of fun learning about it all and making it.

Anyway, photos:

1 bjt hfe tester front.jpg

2a bjt hfe tester top pnp.jpg

2b bjt hfe tester top and front npn.jpg

3 bjt hfe tester top and front inside.jpg

4a bjt hfe tester pcb inside.jpg

4b bjt hfe tester top inside.jpg

Salvaged schematic from pdf (sorry about the quality of image):
5 bjt hfe tester schematic.JPG

Attachments

• Transistor tester working version - Schematic.pdf
    180.2 KB · Views: 162