Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing an LC delay line

Status
Not open for further replies.

emq

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking to design a passive, LC delay line with a 500ns delay, a 50ns rise time and a 1000 Ohm characteristic impedance. Is there design software that would make it easy to do this? I tried Genesys, but that only allows you to create delay equalization sections that would be cascaded onto an existing filter.

Last edited:

Hi,

the problem is the missing specification.
Thus numerous solutions are possible.

An example:

An LC filter beyond resonant has a phase shift of 180°.
Now let these 180° be 500ns.
--> So make the input frequency a sinewave with 1MHz. The first requirement is fulfilled. (delay of 500ns)

Now just specify an output voltage of 10V peak (it still is sine waveform), and specifiy the thresholds to be -1.571V and +1.571V.
--> The rise time between these two points is 50ns. And the second requirement is fulfilled.

Klaus

I should have added I'm looking to a delay a square pulse with a 5ns risetime and maintain a true risetime of 50ns. True risetime is simply sqrt(t_ro^2 - t_ri^2) where t_ro is the output risetime and t_ri is the input risetime. For a t_ri of 5ns, t_ro must be around 50ns.

I would expect a LC chain of may be 20 + 20 elements.

The LC ladder below is modified from the circuit in the menu of Falstad's animated interactive simulator. Free to download and use:

www.falstad.com/circuit

As the simulator is animated, it is striking to observe how the initial pulse causes current to travel in looping fashion from one stage to the next. The bucket brigade action is hypnotizing to watch.

several stages LC ladder delays 1 MHz clock pulse 500 nSec.png

Values need to be adjusted to obtain your desired performance. To make 1000 ohm impedance, no doubt it needs more stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.