Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown device in a high voltage chopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_2

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am curious to know what are the circled devices.
Untitled.jpg
Thanks

Not a typical ferrite bead form, but may be ferrite beads though.

You'll check the material around the wire.

Hi,

This thread from Electro-Tech-Online.com says in the first answer: "If possible also name them on the PCB like "BR1" (BR=German abbreviation for jump or bridge)".

All others I saw said BR = bridge rectifier.

My zero Ohm resistors are (typical) light blue ones with a black stripe across the middle and measure from 3 to 7 milliOhms (I'm that sad I actually measured 10 of them out of curiosity when they arrived). IMHO, I'd measure them, anything under ~10mOhms is presumably a zero Ohm resistor.

There was a similar/identical thread here on EDA in January 2018, Parts name identification BR in PCB.

Is the PCB of German origin or design?

@d123
If you look at the photo, ypu will notice one BRIDGE unpopulated (it has dashed line on silk between pads). Definetly it is a piece of wire suitably placed in a piece of some material to resemble a 0 ohm resistor (one black stripe). Body color does not matter, it is dependent on manufacturer.

If you want to measure your 0 ohm resistors, connect as many as you can in series and measure resistance. The more of those in series, it will be easier to determine the resistance (unless you have quite expensive microohm meter).

Hi there,

@d123
If you look at the photo, ypu will notice one BRIDGE unpopulated (it has dashed line on silk between pads). Definetly it is a piece of wire suitably placed in a piece of some material to resemble a 0 ohm resistor (one black stripe). Body color does not matter, it is dependent on manufacturer.

If you want to measure your 0 ohm resistors, connect as many as you can in series and measure resistance. The more of those in series, it will be easier to determine the resistance (unless you have quite expensive microohm meter).

Thanks, I was only pointing out that a lot seem to be pastel blue, nothing else.

Also, "quite expensive"? How about homemade, cheap-and-nasty-looking with no enclosure and consistently over 99% accurate? Photos for your pleasure - and look at how horrible the hand-made pcb is - done with a cutter and a very, very sharpened Philips screwdriver and even better, a 7106 as the ADC, but the constantly accurate numbers don't lie, though I guess someone will jump to disagree about how reliable it is for the sake of it. I have made some epic fail circuits, some not great ones, some that are okay and a couple that I am modestly proud of, this little monster is one of them, even with one poor solder joint on one LCD segment pin:

1 milli Ohmmeter 0R.jpg
2 milli Ohmmeter 0R05.jpg
3 milli Ohmmeter 0R10.jpg
4 milli Ohmmeter 0R20.jpg
5a milli Ohmmeter 0R70.jpg
5b 0R70 closeup.jpg
6 milli Ohmmeter reverse.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.