Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I/O supply and usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenD

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am trying to tapeout a mixed signal circuit using TSMC 65nm pdk. I need to input/output analog signals, sampled (analog) signals, DC signals, clock signals. The operating freq is in the proximity of 1GHz. Can I ask a few questions, please?

1. Can I just use analog I/Os for all the signals listed above, including clock signals? My reasoning is that the digital I/O is relatively slow and there is no need for me to transform my signal from 1.2V to 3.3V. On the other hand, there is no harm to use analog I/O for clock signal output.

2.There are 2 types of analog power cells to provide VDD from TSMC I/O lib. the power bus names are TAVDD and TACVDD. TAVDD is for analog domain supplied by the I/O voltage, whereas TACVDD is for analog domain supplied by the core voltage. To my understanding, these should be the supply voltage of the I/O. But that are the difference?

3. The analog signal I/O demand a secondary ESD device. I am thinking of a simple resistor and 2 diode connected mosfets. Is there a rule of thumb for the sizing of resistor or w,l of the mosfets?

Thanks
Allen

Hi allen,
I am not familiar with TSMC 65nm PD, but with I/O circuits in general so my answer might or might not be heplful/

1 - Analog I/O IP should come with a documentation in the PDK, in which AC/DC switching characteristics, min and max operating voltage and frequency should be defined. If your application's requirements are in the range of what analog I/O supports, then you should be fine.
2- Analog I/Os have multiple supplies. These supplies are usually I/O operating voltage, an analog auxiliary voltage for all the analog biaising requirements (this voltage is not necesseraly equal to the I/O operating voltage), and a core voltage which can be same or different than core supply rail depending on the noise acceptance. Again, the I/O documentation should give you the information.

3 - You should perform an ESD simulation to validate ESD function w.r.t your ESD specifications. The secondary device are sometimes required for CDM protection.

Rgrds,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back