Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Loop bandwidth of a Charge pump PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinmaye

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
I am new to PLLs and I have been trying to study it from Razavi. I am confused with what the loop bandwidth in charge pump PLL mean? Does it mean wn in the second order system? or Zwn is the second order system? or something else?

TIA

PLL locks the free-running oscillator to a certain frequency using the VCO's tuning voltage pin by adjusting the voltage of that pin. PLL controls the output voltage of the charge pump so that VCO stays "locked" at that frequency and phase. And this is done in a certain bandwidth, how much of a free bandwidth that you want to give the VCO to freely roam around. If you put a small value on Loop BW, "lock" will take much time, and if you put a large value on Loop BW, then it may lock faster, albeit at a increased cost on "preciseness" of your output frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.