Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TSMC 65nm Calibre dummy insertion tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenD

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi team,
I am using TSMC 65nm and trying to clear metal density errors with auto dummy fill. I have a file called "Dummy_OD_PO_Metal_Calibre_65nm.22b", which TSMC says this is the Calibre dummy insertion tool. I opened the file and changed the parameter of layout path as the directory to my library and layout primary as cell name

LAYOUT SYSTEM GDSII
LAYOUT PATH "/home/.../Receiver_2019(this is the lib name)"
LAYOUT PRIMARY "TOPLEVEL_PADS(this is the cellview name)"

Then I opened a terminal at the category of "Dummy_OD_PO_Metal_Calibre_65nm.22b" and type

calibre -drc -hier Dummy_OD_PO_Calibre_65nm.22b

The DRC run with an error: ERROR: Error RES2 on line 9359 of Dummy_OD_PO_Metal_Calibre_65nm.22b - undefined layer name parameter: M9x_TFRDMY_8.

Can anybody please give me some advice how I can use the TSMC auto dummy fill. Thanks a lot.

MD

TSMC provides these tools that are not specific to your metal stack, they are the same for all technology flavors. Often you have to edit the file to make it match the metal stack that you have in your design.

Also make sure this file is intended for Calibre. I have seen PVS files being passed as calibre files and vice-versa.

Hi ThisIsNotSam,
Thanks for your insight! I am more and more suspect you are right. I am using a 9 metal layers version in my layout while the filer file can cover till 11 layers. Nevertheless, I did not find any place to change the metal layer definition...

When you said to "edit" the file, did you mean massive manually delete the lines that concerning metals that I am not using or did you mean there is a deck option that I can turn off the metal that I don't use?

Thanks
MD

Hi ThisIsNotSam,
Thanks for your insight! I am more and more suspect you are right. I am using a 9 metal layers version in my layout while the filer file can cover till 11 layers. Nevertheless, I did not find any place to change the metal layer definition...

When you said to "edit" the file, did you mean massive manually delete the lines that concerning metals that I am not using or did you mean there is a deck option that I can turn off the metal that I don't use?

Thanks
MD

There usually are switches at the top that you can turn on/off.

Hi ThisIsNotSam,
Thanks for your reply. The file listed above was a combined file of metal and OD_PO. So I reset the file and only run for Metal fill. Then this error was reported

ERROR: Failure to open input file /home/../Receiver_2019 for read access.

But when I run getfacl Receiver_2019
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

It seems I have read access. Can you please share some of your insight into what caused the error?
Thanks,
MD

Hi ThisIsNotSam,
Thanks for your reply. The file listed above was a combined file of metal and OD_PO. So I reset the file and only run for Metal fill. Then this error was reported

ERROR: Failure to open input file /home/../Receiver_2019 for read access.

But when I run getfacl Receiver_2019
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

It seems I have read access. Can you please share some of your insight into what caused the error?
Thanks,
MD

Not sure what is happening. Are you giving it a GDS file as input? That's how it is supposed to work.

Thanks for your insight! Here is what I did following your recommendation.

I export my circuit from cadence to GDS file and moved it to the fill_tool file directory (/home/MD/Calibre/drc) and update the tool variables

LAYOUT SYSTEM GDSII
LAYOUT PATH "/home/MD/Calibre/drc"
LAYOUT PRIMARY "TOPRETICULE.gds"

Then I ran calibre -drc -hier Dummy_OD_PO_Calibre_65nm.22b
It reported an error. ERROR: Failure to open input file /home/MD/Calibre/drc for read access.

Then I checked with these commands:
[MD@paulson Calibre]$ pwd
/home/MD/Calibre
[MD@paulson Calibre]$ ll
drwxr-x---+ 6 MD MD 4096 May 8 16:31 drc

Do you see anything I did was wrong?
Thanks
MD

LAYOUT PATH "/home/MD/Calibre/drc/TOPRETICULE.gds"
LAYOUT PRIMARY "TOPRETICULE" - or what is the name of top cell inside your GDS file

LAYOUT PATH "/home/MD/Calibre/drc/TOPRETICULE.gds"
LAYOUT PRIMARY "TOPRETICULE" - or what is the name of top cell inside your GDS file
Thank you so so much!
It works! I should not take the error message by its literal meaning....I should have figured out the definition of the layout path and layout primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back