Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Mesh type should I use(tetrahedral or hexahedral)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuaii

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I am new to this forum also new to CST and filter design. I am currently using CST to simulate very basic planar resonators using microstrip line. I need to observe the resonance frequency and also the Qext. I found that using hexahedral mesh and tetrahedral mesh give me different results. Even in Hexahedral mesh using different methods( ASK and JDM )give me different results.

I went through all examples in CST and found all they use tetrahedral mesh regardless of it is 3D or planar. My understanding is if there is no curve, we should use hexahedral, right?

Because my design contains very thin metal strip so using tetrahedral always gives me "low-quality mesh" which makes me feel unhappy.

I could not find even one example on the Internet using hexahedral mesh. Why?

Thanks in advance!

If you are new to FEM analysis, i should suggest you to stick to the tetrahedral meshes, and investigate different methods for mesh refination, putting your attention at increasing the resolution of the mesh at the critical points of your design. Most meshing algorithms are made for tetrahedral meshes.

At the end, if the solution converged to the proper result, the meshing method should not be critical.

Reactions: shuaii and LMA

LMA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

shuaii

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back