Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] S25FL128S single byte write not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

amayilsamy

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I'm using S25FL128S cypress flash chip. In that single byte programming not working.

Only the sector is working.

Sector write working flow. Sector size is 4096.

1. Reading data from flash - 4096 bytes

2. Erasing the sector - 4096 bytes

3. Adding new data in read data.

4. Writing back it again.

This is the flow sector write working.

Help me out single byte programming.

Hi,

Some questions:
* are you sure the IC is able to do single byte writing?
* how do you know that it does not work.
* what is your single byte write prcedure?

Btw: As far as I understand the sequence you give in post#1 is the working sequence, but you complain about a different sequence not working. Does it make sense to show one sequence but complain about another?

Klaus

Thanks for the reply.

Not working sequence is

1. Sending address to flash.
2. sending data to flash

The flash write verified using read back the data again and compare with Transmitted data.

In datasheet they mentioned single byte programming is possible (In datasheet Page no : # 98)

Single byte programming is surely possible, with the same command used for page programming. As clearly described in the data sheet, you can only program previously erased sectors, more exactly writing bits from '1' to '0' but not from '0' to '1'.

Hi,

to debug the problem (on your own) you could simply:
* read the data of the address you want to write (just to be sure it is not yet written)
* run your "one byte write" sequence (your usual sequence)
* read the data of the address you have written (to verify the write sequence)

Klaus

Single byte programming is surely possible, with the same command used for page programming. As clearly described in the data sheet, you can only program previously erased sectors, more exactly writing bits from '1' to '0' but not from '0' to '1'.

Thanks for the reply.

For write purpose i'm using page programming command only.

I will check once again your sequence

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

to debug the problem (on your own) you could simply:
* read the data of the address you want to write (just to be sure it is not yet written)
* run your "one byte write" sequence (your usual sequence)
* read the data of the address you have written (to verify the write sequence)

Klaus
My new test sequence is
1. Read flash
2. Erase flash
3. Write flash
4. Read and verify

Hi,

My new test sequence is
1. Read flash
2. Erase flash
3. Write flash
4. Read and verify
Isn´t this the working sequence of post#1?

Or maybe you are not aware that there is no "single byte erase", just SE or BE like written in datasheet:

9.1.6 Erase Flash Array
The Sector Erase (SE) and Bulk Erase (BE) commands set all the bits in a sector or the entire memory array to 1. A bit needs to be
first erased to 1 before programming can change it to a 0. While bits can be individually programmed from a 1 to 0, erasing bits from
0 to 1 must be done on a sector-wide (SE) or array-wide (BE) level.

Klaus

Hi,

I tested Post #5 working for S25FL128L Flash chip but it's not working for S25FL128S. I think I may have problem with Erasing sectors.

So I'm debugging on it.

Hi,

I tested Post #5 working for S25FL128L Flash chip but it's not working for S25FL128S. I think I may have problem with Erasing sectors.

So I'm debugging on it.
post#5 doesn´t mention "erase" at all.

If you need further help: post the code and the results of both "read" as recommended in post#5.

Klaus

The flash chip working. There is issue sector configuration.

Thanks for the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.