Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about PLL being in lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka_rabbi

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a type-2 PLL on cadence. Check the attached picture please. The vco output freq. is divided by two before going into the PD. I have two questions-
1. the control voltage never stabilizes. why? the loop is not really achieving lock, is it?
2. can i put the sinusoidal output of the VCO to PFD directly?
pll.JPG

As I have seen, the Comparison Frequency OR Divided VCO Frequency is Swinging around so Phases are coincident but swinging to left and right.
I believe, you should decrease the min. Transient Analysis Time, I guess it's pretty coarse.

This can also be a Problem of Instability.Have you ever checked the Phase and Gain Margin ?? looks like it..

A PLO has a feedback loop, so it has to compensated to be stable, and not have the output oscillate in frequency.
Thus you must determine the phase and gain margin of the loop, as BB suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.