Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding MIDI switching to a guitar pedal not designed for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarkowtsky

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible? I'd like to pull the midi ports and capability from an unused effects unit and add it to another not originally designed for it. I don't need to send data packets, just use the midi switching ability to engage and disengage it from my effects loop.

I have the service manual for the midi unit, which might help in disassembly, but it's a guessing game for the other unit.

Thoughts?

It’s not clear what you’re talking about. MIDI is a communications protocol, and an optically coupled electrical interface. What do you mean by “MIDI switching ability”?

use the midi switching ability to engage and disengage it from my effects loop
No modification of the pedal needed, just connect a MIDI controlled bypass switch around the pedal. One digital output driving a relays or analog switch.

Thanks FvM. Similar to a Loop Switcher? There's a midi controlled switcher on the market called the Morningstar ML5, but it's $200. Was hoping to avoid that heavy cost.

Barry, what I meant was I only want to send program changes to turn the pedal on and off, not send data packets to midi instruments or other effects.

Of course you make your own device to cut costs, but it should look similar to the ML5, possibly with fewer loop switches.

The more I think about it, I wouldn't know how to add features such as silent switching, true bypass or even low-noise circuitry. I'm probably better off buying the ML5 as I can see this project escalating quickly.

Thanks FvM. Similar to a Loop Switcher? There's a midi controlled switcher on the market called the Morningstar ML5, but it's $200. Was hoping to avoid that heavy cost.

Barry, what I meant was I only want to send program changes to turn the pedal on and off, not send data packets to midi instruments or other effects.

"In for a penny, in for a pound".

Whether you want to send data packets or not, once you've decided to use MIDI you've committed to having a device that can interpret MIDI, whether you're only using one function or all of them.

What about something like this? Only $59US

https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/midi-switcher-set-your-midi-free/

Oh, I've committed to it. The rest of my guitar rig, including amp channels and rack in the FX loop is controlled by midi. The last piece to add is my overdrive pedal which is out in front of the amp with the noise gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back