Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Problem programming a 16F1708 using PICKIT 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought a PK3 some months ago & used it to programme a 16F1708 via MPLAB 8.92.
(I have MPLABX but have not worked out how the use it fully & did not want to waste time climbing the learning curve). 8.92 does all I want.

However, the programming software I have used for years (WINPIC) does not include the 16F1708. So I had to buy the PK3

Yesterday, I tried to use PK3 again to do another 16F1708 and received the "Target device ID (0x0) does not match ......0" message.
I connected my scope to the Vpp (without the PIC installed) and found it was only 4.4 Volt rather than the required 8 ~ 9 Volt. I checked the hardware and it was OK.
I also tried to programme a 12F675 but received the same message.

It would be excellent if someone knows how to enter the 16F1708 into WINPIC.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Have you got the PicKit3 options (in the MPLAB) set to LVP as that would explain the low voltage.
(I've not used MPLAB for a very long time so I can't tell how to check for this setting in the IDE.)
Susan

Reactions: ljcox

ljcox

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks Susan. No it is not set to LVP. Someone on another forum gave me a procedure to refresh the firmware in the PK3. I did that & now I get the correct Vpp voltage but the waveshape on the scope does not look right as you will see in the attachments. So it still won't programme a PIC.

PGC & PGD 4.gif Vpp & PGD.gif Vpp decay.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.