Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to check a register value is 1 using verilog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poomagal

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am writing verilog code for modular inversion algorithm, how write synthesizable verilog code to check a value inside the register is one(1) or not? kindly help on this.

for example if register u=1, then it should return TRUE/some other operation to be continued else FALSE.
how to do for this.

pretty simple

Code Verilog - [expand]
if (u=1) begin
  // do something when u = 1
end
else begin
  // do something when u != 1
end

pretty simple

Code Verilog - [expand]
if (u=1) begin
  // do something when u = 1
end
else begin
  // do something when u != 1
end

Thank you for the reply. BTW, if u is a 16-bit register or more, can we follow the same method?
Also i need this condition in a while loop but while is not sysnthesizable, how to proceed this.

For example, So until if u!=1,it need to do some operation and when u become 1(u=1), it need to do some other operation.

Can you suggest for this?

Last edited:

I suggest you read a verilog tutorial. There are plenty about. Remember, this is NOT software, but hardware. Before you write any code, you should have a circuit diagram of your intended circuit. Verilog is an HDL - hardware description language. How can you write the code if you dont know what circuit you're describing.

I suggest you read a verilog tutorial. There are plenty about. Remember, this is NOT software, but hardware. Before you write any code, you should have a circuit diagram of your intended circuit. Verilog is an HDL - hardware description language. How can you write the code if you dont know what circuit you're describing.

Yes I can understand, I have the algorithm, and i am reading and trying many tutorials to draw circuit diagram from the algorithm, so that only I can write the verilog code correctly. But I cannot get the clear idea of how to draw circuit diagram and write synthesizable verilog code from/for the given algorithm. Actually I am trying to write for extended euclidean algorithm.

Hi,

the problem is that you are vague in informations.

Give clear informations:
Is it a 16 bit value or not?

If 16 bit value:
Then it´s range is 0..65535
If you want to check for value 1 then you should draw the binary states of all 16 lines.
(hint: 15 lines are LOW, one line is HIGH).

then it should be obvious that you need to compare all the 16 lines for this state.
Several ways to do this.
* a 16 bit input AND logic gate with one input inverted
* or a true 16bit + 16bit input comparator.

Hand draw the circuit on a paper and you are done.

Klaus

Some considerations regarding synthesis of recursive algorithms.

Iteration loops are a means to describe parallel hardware. Respectively they can be only synthesized if the iteration count is known at compile time. A possible workaround is to implement the iteration for a known maximal iteration count and terminate the loop conditionally.

Alternatively you can rewrite the loop as clocked sequential circuit, performing one iteration step per clock cycle.

Hi,

I mean that "==" operator in case of registers is comparing them bit by bit (also "===" operator that aditionaly comparing bit by bit "x' and "z" states).

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back