Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SOT-227B max raal power disipation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to use a transistor IXFN132N50P3 in electronic load,, for testing high current PS.

IXFN132N50P3 have max short power disipation 1500W and Thermal Impedance 0,1 C/W.

1. I have old CPU heatsink with 3x 6mm heat pipes any as **broken link removed** Do you estimate the thermal resistance of such a cooler?

2.My second idea. I have Cu sheet 30x100x10 and screw the transistor and drilling 3x 5mm for cooling water or 4x 4mm.
Do you estimate the thermal resistance of such a cooler?

1) That is one of the most useless spec sheets I have seen. Their graph shows 63 degree rise at "full load" without even a whisper of what "full load" might be. 1 Watt? 1000Watts?

2) I'm not sure I understand. Are you proposing taking a chunk of copper (I don't think something 10mm thick qualifies as a "sheet") and drilling holes through it and running water through those holes? I think this would be a fairly complex calculation: what is the water temperature? what is the flow rate? What are the dimensions of the holes, their spacing etc.

This is not a linear fet - IXYS have these - look further on the website - above about 40V the cells lose the ability to current share and you get hot spotting and death - for high currents.

Even though it is rated at 1500W - @ 25 degC base - at 80-100 deg C on the baseplate the continuous rating is much less - I would estimate 250W if you want to avoid break down.

At 250W the die is 12.5 deg C above the baseplate, you can see from the curve attached, it will do 100A at 100V for little over 1mS ( 25 deg C case maintaned ) which may be of little use to you

snip2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.