Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Patch antenna using lpkf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unaz

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have made a patch antenna using FSS 3D layout. I imported the gerber files in circuitpro LPKF software. Which layer am I supposed to assign the substrate. Copper is the top layer. I tried making substrate rubout layer. But it just makes an outline for the patch and does not remove the copper for all around the patch. Can someone guide.

Re: patch antenna using lpkf

For most PCB's it is enough to just mill narrow isolation tracks and leave as much copper as possible.
This is a good default behaviour.
I think you must select an option somewhere in the LPKF software if you want to remove all the copper.
I have seen a demo, but I have not used the software.

You probably also need to assign the dielectric to the "Board Outline" layer.

What milling machine do you have? I may be able to send you a template file.

Hi Unaz,

To fabricate patch antenna using LPKF prototype machine,
1. Import the individual dxf files of top layer and bottom layer of patch antenna.
2. After assigning top and bottom layers,
3. Assign the rub out areas.

In this way you can easily make the patch antennas using LPKF machine.

Reactions: Unaz

Unaz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks. I was able to do it using rubout.
Do you know if removing the copper with the machine would make a difference in performance compared to peeling off he copper? I have heard the machine leave the surface rough. Does the roughness effect performance of antenna.

Hi Unaz,

To fabricate patch antenna using LPKF prototype machine,
1. Import the individual dxf files of top layer and bottom layer of patch antenna.
2. After assigning top and bottom layers,
3. Assign the rub out areas.

In this way you can easily make the patch antennas using LPKF machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back