+ Post New Thread
    Member level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Convert from STD_LOGIC to integer in VHDL

Is this code right?, I need to convert from STD_LOGIC to integer( to add those integers) and then back result to STD_LOGIC:
    a,h,f3,f0,k,w,f2,f1 are STD_Logic

Code:
            a          <= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned((To_integer(unsigned(h)) +
                                                                                     To_integer(unsigned(f3)) + 
                                                                                     To_integer(unsigned(f0)) +
                                                                                     To_integer(unsigned(k)) + 
                                                                                     To_integer(unsigned(w))  + 
                                                                                     To_integer(unsigned(f2)) + 
                                                                                     To_integer(unsigned(f1))),a'length));

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13543 / 13543
    Level

Re: Convert from STD_LOGIC to integer in VHDL

Convert to integer makes no sense. Why not add unsigned?

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisment

Full Member level 5

Helped
    27 / 27
    Level

std_logic but its nature is either 0 or 1.

Do you mean std_logic_vector, furthermore when converting from interger back to std_logic_vector via unsigned you need to specify length

•   AltAdvertisment

Newbie level 3

Helped
    1 / 1
    Level

Here you can find examples with all the important VHDL conversions:
    https://www.nandland.com/vhdl/tips/t...o-integer.html
    I don't think that you can convert an std_logic to integer, you will probably need to use std_logic_vector signals of a single bit, like: signal names : std_logic_vector(0 downto 0);

Member level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by FvM View Post
    Convert to integer makes no sense. Why not add unsigned?
    I tried this:
    a <= std_logic_vector(unsigned(h) +unsigned(f3) + unsigned(f0) +unsigned(k) + unsigned(w) + unsigned(f2) + unsigned(f1));

and i still have these errors "Bad expression in left operand of infix expression "+".
    (vcom-1078) Identifier "unsigned" is not directly visible.
    Illegal type conversion to ieee.std_logic_1164.STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (operand type is not known).

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    1997 / 1997
    Level

"Bad expression in left operand of infix expression "+".
    (vcom-1078) Identifier "unsigned" is not directly visible.
    This error is because you have more than one package that declares an unsigned type. You didnt post the code, but I assume you have included std_logic_arith and numeric_std. You should delete std_logic_arith as it is a non-standard VHDL library.

You have another problem: you're trying to convert std_logic to unsigned. Thats impossible, because std_logic is an enumerated type, and unsigned is an array of std_logic. They are not related types.
    You will need to make an array out of your single std_logic bits to make them unsigned. There is a nice little hack for this - simply append the bit to a null array. You will also need to qualify the resulting array as unsigned so it doesnt get confused between unsigned and signed:

Code VHDL - [expand]

a <= std_logic_vector( unsigned'(""&h) + unsigned(""&f3) ....... etc

Of course, it would have been much easier if a and the other signals were all unsigned in the first place.

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1677 / 1677
    Level

what libraries are you using?

...you are probably using the ieee.numeric_std along with the conflicting synopsys libraries ieee.std_logic_arith and ieee.std_logic_unsigned.

I've been having a similar problem due to a very old testbench and the need to use some code that requires numeric_std, so I've had to resort to explicitly calling out what functions are used instead of using .all, very annoying.

Member level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    This error is because you have more than one package that declares an unsigned type. You didnt post the code, but I assume you have included std_logic_arith and numeric_std. You should delete std_logic_arith as it is a non-standard VHDL library.

You have another problem: you're trying to convert std_logic to unsigned. Thats impossible, because std_logic is an enumerated type, and unsigned is an array of std_logic. They are not related types.
    You will need to make an array out of your single std_logic bits to make them unsigned. There is a nice little hack for this - simply append the bit to a null array. You will also need to qualify the resulting array as unsigned so it doesnt get confused between unsigned and signed:

Code VHDL - [expand]

a <= std_logic_vector( unsigned'(""&h) + unsigned(""&f3) ....... etc

Of course, it would have been much easier if a and the other signals were all unsigned in the first place.
    Thank you so much
    It is solved

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ads-ee View Post
    what libraries are you using?

...you are probably using the ieee.numeric_std along with the conflicting synopsys libraries ieee.std_logic_arith and ieee.std_logic_unsigned.

I've been having a similar problem due to a very old testbench and the need to use some code that requires numeric_std, so I've had to resort to explicitly calling out what functions are used instead of using .all, very annoying.
    Thank you so much
    It is solved

--[[ ]]--