Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAINS transfer relat circuit: does this look safe and reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a AC transfer relay circuit that transfers from 120V MAINS to battery backed 120V inverter when the MAINS fail.

Load is 0.25A
Relay is EE2-24NU surface mount rated 2A, 240Vac (24Vdc coil).
TVS is to protect the capacitor.

Why not just use an ac relay? 3x cost, larger and no SMT.

Do you think it will be safe and reliable?

Attachments

• Failover.png
    Failover.png
    59 KB · Views: 116

If the relay contacts are sufficiently rated there is no reason why an AC relay can't be used. I am a little suspicious of the relay in the schematic, a nominal rating of 24V id OK, a minimum operating voltage of 18V is reasonable but a drop out voltage of only 2.4V sounds a bit low to me.

Brian.

I like to experiment with simulations, so here's your schematic. 5k carries sufficient current to provide 24v 8mA. Notice the resistor carries 4W peaks.

mains 120vac resistive drop diode smoothing cap 24vDC load 8mA.png

Is there a reason you ruled out a capacitive drop, to reduce mains voltage? It's feasible for low power requirements.

EE2-24NU has only 60W/125VA switching power, unlikely sufficient for your application.

Generally, using at DT contact for mains switchover is never safe. The "open" arc won't be extinguished before the new contact closure, causing a short between both power sources. If switching under load, you need separate contactors for both sources with several 10 ms deadtime.

Hi,

Maybe a safety relay like SF2-24V is more suitable.

But I doubt that it can fulfill the need for "several 10ms deadtime".

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.