Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer creepage with faraday shields

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwieg

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm starting a medical PSU project (~1kW), low leakage and low EMI are critical. I planned to address this by using faraday screens in the DC-DC transformer, in order to reduce or eliminate the Y capacitor between primary and secondary.

The one thing I'm stuck on is how the use of the shields affects the my insulation category and creepage distance. Normally, without any faraday shields, you can just use appropriately rated triple insulated wire and be done. But if the screen(s) are put between the windings, then I expect that it would eliminate the protection gain from the TIW, assuming the shield connects directly back to the primary or secondary circuit ground. So does that mean there's no point in using TIW with a shield?

What if the shield is connected to the circuit ground via a ~10nF Y capacitor (rated for the working insulation voltage)? Could the shield then not be considered an issue for insulation failure, since it's effectively an open circuit at 50/60Hz? I've seen this trick mentioned in a couple texts, but can't find any reference to it in IEC 60950 or IEC 60601-1.

if the shields touch then you will have lots of C from mains to o/p. Shields are subject to the same insulation requirements as winding wire - you might consider 3 parallel wires wound as a shield for the pri then the TIW sec.

Reactions: mtwieg

mtwieg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
if the shields touch then you will have lots of C from mains to o/p.
I don't see why the capacitance between a primary shield and a secondary winding would be more than between the primary and secondary. Assuming the insulation is the same for both cases (though in that case the shield will increase leakage a bit).
Shields are subject to the same insulation requirements as winding wire
This is where I'm getting lots of mixed messages from sources. For example, I've also seen suggestions that using a safety screen (rated for 25A) to protective earth may actually relax requirements on creepage and insulation.
you might consider 3 parallel wires wound as a shield for the pri then the TIW sec.
In such a case, would you make the shield out of TIW, and the primary with standard insulation?

3 wires of PEI or PUR functional insulation to the primary - then safety insulation to the sec

as to a single earth shield - yes you are right - as long as the shield can easily carry any fault current - usually a physically large choke is needed to block the RF pickup by the earth shield which then gets into the LISN ( along the earth wire )

a pri shield and then an earth shield overcomes this

if the shields touch then you will have lots of C from mains to o/p.
I mean't if you had large caps in series with these shields and they then touched ( metal to metal ) inside the TX ...

mtwieg

3 wires of PEI or PUR functional insulation to the primary - then safety insulation to the sec
Could you elaborate? "3 wires of functional insulation"... you mean three layers of insulation between the primary and shield?

as to a single earth shield - yes you are right - as long as the shield can easily carry any fault current - usually a physically large choke is needed to block the RF pickup by the earth shield which then gets into the LISN ( along the earth wire )

a pri shield and then an earth shield overcomes this
Yes, I definitely wouldn't consider using a safety shield without also using EMI shields on both sides. I don't plan at this point to include a safety shield.

I mean't if you had large caps in series with these shields and they then touched ( metal to metal ) inside the TX ...
Well certainly that would cause a large increase in leakage currents. But it would be much worse without the series capacitors on the shields...

3 wires of PEI or PUR(II) for the shield. Functional isolation is that for the function of the power circuit, i.e. not safety, if the peak volts from any point on the pri to shield is say 650V ( e.g. flyback) then functional insulation has to withstand this over time.

3 wires of PEI or PUR(II) for the shield.
I'm assuming by PEI you mean Ultem or something similar?

So here's the most basic method of construction I can think of. Margin wound, no TIW, just using tape insulation.
zzzzz.png

Basically I'm just want to fact-check these assumptions of mine:

1. Using TIW for the primary winding alone is pointless, due to the presence of the primary shield.

2. Using TIW for both the primary shield and the secondary winding would allow me to eliminate all the tape insulation.

3. In the case of 2, the creepage from primary to secondary would be <8mm, so I would still need the margins (since the primary is not TIW).

4. Using TIW for all windings and the shield would allow me to get rid of all the insulation tape, and the margins.

You need to read thoroughly & understand the related standards if you are to take responsibility for the safety of the design.

PEI = poly ethyl iamide - a common winding wire insulation for > 180degC it cannot be soldered

PUR = poly urethane - commonly red & solderable

if using approved TIW no margins are needed - if using margins and PUR or PEI then the lead outs need to be sleeved to meet standards - and the tape used for isolation needs to meet standards - the insulation on the wire does not count - except TIW.

If you use TIW as a shield and simply cut the end of the shield wdg, then the Cu is exposed and you need another insulation system - so may as well use 3 x PUR in //

mtwieg

PEI = poly ethyl iamide - a common winding wire insulation for > 180degC it cannot be soldered

PUR = poly urethane - commonly red & solderable
I'm familiar with PU (never heard it called PUR), polyimide, and polyamide. Never heard of poly ethyl iamide as a wire insulation, and google doesn't turn up anything. Are you sure you don't mean polyester imide?

if using approved TIW no margins are needed - if using margins and PUR or PEI then the lead outs need to be sleeved to meet standards - and the tape used for isolation needs to meet standards - the insulation on the wire does not count - except TIW.
Yes, AFAIK IEC 60950-1 and 60601-1 are consistent here.

If you use TIW as a shield and simply cut the end of the shield wdg, then the Cu is exposed and you need another insulation system - so may as well use 3 x PUR in //
Good point. I suppose one option would be to terminate both ends of the shield strands to bobbin pins, but not connect it to the PCB. That would occupy quite a few bobbin pins though.

Status
Not open for further replies.