+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 5

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Digital pin as TXD , RXD.

Can i use the digital pin of microcontroller as serial (TXD, RXD) ??

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4372 / 4372
    Level

Re: Digital pin as TXD , RXD.

You can use any pin of a microcontroller to read or send serial data if you program it appropriately. If the microcontroller has a UART module it is usually easier to use it instead of using software but they normally constrain the UART connection to fixed pin numbers.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 5

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

how should i program it. is there a specific flow for making digital pin, a UART.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4372 / 4372
    Level

A UART is a specific device within most microcontrollers, you need to consult the data sheet to see how to use it.
    If you want to use any other pin for serial communication you have to write your own software to do it, we call it a 'software uart' or a 'bit-banged uart'. Your program is responsible for performing all the timing and shifting between serial and parallel streams. How to do it depends on which MCU you are using and to some extent what other things it also has to do. Software UARTs require precise timing so it often isn't feasible to use one if other demands are made on the MCUs resources.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

--[[ ]]--